• 14

Benjamin

"Damn it!" Sheila shouts, tossing her hand of cards at my face. I laugh maniacally.

"How in the hell did you already get phase ten?" Calvin asks in complete awe. "The rest of us hardly made it to phase seven?"

"I grew up in the South. We had such bad weather on such a constant basis, all we could do was play card games. I'm a master at Phase 10, Uno, or any other card game in existence. Don't even try, bitches."

"You are unbelievable," Sarah rolls her eyes. "I thought this would be fun."

"Guys, come on! I was just playing the game!" Sarah and Sheila migrate to the other side of the cabin and sit in a different seating area. Calvin and Agatha sit with me still, and Agatha chuckles.

"Sarah has always been a sore loser. And I guess Sheila even has her beaten in that competition. They won't be mad forever."

"I think Shelly might," Calvin says. "Anyway, we'll be landing soon. Let's just chill." He puts on some music everyone can stomach and reclines his seat. I lean forward on my elbows and sigh. Agatha copies me and smiles.

"I missed being around this group. It's riveting to see you in person, now that you are my new Chief Financial Officer in New York."

"Thanks again for betting on me like Calvin and pretty much everyone else did. It does a lot for my confidence to know you guys believed I'd do well at the job."

"You're already working circles around what Calvin was doing on his first week. And he started in a slow season, so he was even luckier than you."

Calvin scoffs, leaning his chair up to remark. "I'll have you know, I was going through a lot of shit during that year of my life."

"I'm complimenting your boyfriend. You should be proud of him for being better than you," she scolds.

Calvin crosses his arms. "I'm still a man. I'm competitive by nature."

"And I love you for it, but be less competitive with Benjamin's work ethic and praise him for it." He looks over to me with soft eyes.

He sighs. "I'm so proud of you for being better than I was. It's all a mentor wants for their successor."

"Thank you," I say. "Agatha's gotta keep you in check while she's around." He dismisses us with a wave and leans back in his seat once again, leaving Ag and I to our laughter.

We soon land in Tarrytown and make our way to a car outside of the landing site. I feel like a fancy bitch, like 'y'all bitches can't even spell Prague.' I scan the scenery as we make our way through town swiftly. It's so beautiful here. There are some notable attractions here I'd love to visit, but I'd rather focus on relaxing with Calvin and have an actual vacation for once. I hate to say it, but my other trips have been less than relaxing for multiple reason besides just work. Now, I genuinely have time to bond with Calvin, Sarah, and Agatha.

Soon, we are pulling onto a driveway. In the distance, there's a two story home I can only imagine is our destination. We exit the car and grab our luggage, and as the driver pulls away, we walk up the steps. The home is colonial style in that it has white columns all around supporting the roof above a surrounding porch. Inside, we all gather around the large couch in the living room.

For Sheila and I, it's about taking in the scenery considering we've never been here. Sarah also reminisces in awe, but Calvin and Agatha seem unenthused. I guess home is home.

"Sarah, Calvin, our rooms have been... updated. So, larger beds and new paint. Your old belongings, if any, are boxed up in the respective closets. Everyone, the refrigerator is packed with goodies, or you can always head into town for food. I hope you two, Benjamin and Sheila, really enjoy your stay here."