• 04

"Hey, are you awake?" Calvin asks me as I answer the phone.

I chuckle, "Yes, I'm up. I'm super jittery, too. I've never been inside the office so early before. It's kind of exciting for some reason."

"It's weird, believe me. It's like a ghost town– where things are usually bustling and lively, there isn't a soul. Make sure you grab a coffee or two."

"Well, I mean, we've got some time, right?" I ask him.

Long pause... "Yeah? Why?"

"Come pick me up. We'll get coffee together if you want." It's like I can hear him smile on the other end.

"Okay, sure. I'll see you in a few minutes."

"Alright, bye," I hang up. I tug on my pants and assure my attire is at peak performance today. Now that I'm dating him– or at least I think I am– I suddenly am obsessed with my clothing options. I know that my sense of style is flawless, but I don't exactly have super expensive brands like I wish I could flaunt. The nicest things I own are some Louis Vuitton and Gucci outfits. I'll save those for our first official date.

Soon, I hear Calvin knocking on my apartment door. I grab my coat and step into the foyer, opening the door. He has in his hand one rose.

"I feel like The Bachelor or something," he said with a laugh.

I smile. "You are one eligible bachelor indeed," I say, giving him a kiss. Our lips stay connected and still for a moment, then I chuckle. I speak against his lips, "You got me this rose because you knew I wouldn't kiss you on my own. Didn't you."

"Yeah, something like that," he says sheepishly. I thump his shoulder and interlock an arms with his.

"Thank you for escorting me to work, boss."

"Boss/Employee stuff turns me on, don't torture me," he groans.

"I don't have to, it's already a reality. Haven't you realized that?" I press the button to head down to the lobby.

"Ehh, I've never seen you as much of an employee to me. You're more of a friend at work."

"Wow, no wonder I haven't received a raise, you don't even recognize me as an employee." He laughs.

"Shut up, you are putting the words into my mouth. Is that how you say that? Sometimes I get idioms wrong."

"That was good, it was fine." I suppress a laugh, and he notices and punches me softly.

"Luckily, Starbucks is just across the street from your complex."

I nod, "That's why I suggested." We board the elevator and listen to the music in silence. I smell my rose slyly, trying not to be noticed. I don't think he did, but I'm probably seriously wrong. This jerk is overcompensating for being an ass to me at work, and he's doing pretty great.

The elevator dings on the ground floor, so we depart the building. We take the crosswalk to Starbucks, where Calvin is already conveniently parked. I hug his arm tight, trying not to freeze to death in this frosty weather.

"You alright?" he asks in a thick accent. Yeah, I'm definitely warm now.

"Yeah, just cold. In need of coffee." It dawns on me that he is completely comfortable with me hanging onto him like this. "So... you aren't embarrassed to be seen with a man?"

"Why would I? It's the 21st century; people's gotta learn."

"Okay, true. But you have the masculine reputation of being a lady killer. I'm killing that vibe, no pun intended."