Then her fingers froze as though she were in the arctic tundra. She almost didn't answer. Her brain blanked out like her inner hard drive just crashed.

She somehow managed toward through the slow down in her brain and press the little green phone button on her screen.

"Hello?"

Jane had to clear her throat and say it again.

"Hello?"

She hoped Silvio didn't hear that first one, and that she sounded more confidant to him than she did to herself.

"Hi, are you busy? I can call back if you are."

"No, no, not at all. How've you been?"

"Fine, been fine. Been thinking about a lot of things."

That sounded about as good as the last time he'd said he was thinking."Oh yeah? About what?"

"Mostly about you. Are you free? I was in the area. I can come up to see you if you wanted to talk."

A quick glance around the room was all it took for her to see that she did not want Silvio up here.

Jane had been ordering room service, but she hadn't been letting anyone into the room to take out the trash, recycling, or put fresh sheets on the bed since she'd been here.

It shouldn't have been a lot, but somehow she'd managed to bring in a nice collection of takeout boxes and trash.

Silvio took her silence to mean that she didn't want to see him.

"If you don't want me to come up then I understand."

"No, that's not it. Actually, are you downstairs right now? I can come and see you."

Now he hesitated. God, it was so strange to know Silvio could be uncertain about anything.

"I'm downstairs. I'll wait for you."

He'd called her from the lobby? Well, that didn't matter. He was here. She didn't care about anything else.

"All right, see you in a minute. I love you."

She hung up the phone before he could respond. All the while, Jane cringed.

Really? She told him she loved him and then hung up?

Why? Why did those words have to come out of her mouth? Why couldn't she behave normally for once and not let these things get to her?

It wasn't just the room that looked like a huge mess, she wasn't exactly aso stunning either. She hadn't showered once since getting here, a quick look in the mirror told her how much she needed to pluck her eyebrows, and splashing some cold water over her face didn't seem like the worst idea in the world.

Jane had never moved so fast to make herself even slightly presentable before. Thank God she'd bought new clothes since coming here with Silvio's payment, otherwise she would have been massively screwed, but she didn't have time to change her bra of panties, and aside from getting rid of that stray hair growing in the middle of her eyebrows and a fast scub with her toothbrush, she could barely do anything other than apply some lipstick in the elevator.

Her punishment for turning into a sloth, she supposed.

Getting downstairs to the lobby, Jane inhaled a deep breath, checked herself out one more time in her reflection on any metal surface she could find, then walked with her shoulders back and spine straight around the corner to the lobby.

Silvio was there. Of course he was. He'd said he would be.

The colourful flowers in his hand was something she didn't expect.