Chapter 40

Chapter Forty

Jane ended up staying in that hotel for the next three days.

She wasn't ready to go home. Things just seemed too weird, and even though she was just as alone there as she was here, it was easier to feel not quite so isolated when she could call for room service, or use the gym downstairs.

Still, it wasn't the same without Silvio here. The fact that he was paying for all this despite keeping to his word and putting all that money in her account made it all the stranger.

She could officially afford to stay here, and she didn't like the idea that he was paying for her stay out of a sense of guilt.

To make up for something that wasn't even close to being his fault.

But if she told him she didn't want him paying, would that make him feel worse? Was this something he needed to do in order to feel even a little better about what happened?

Jane had sent him a couple of texts, but she had yet to receive an answer.

Isla texted her back every two minutes. Jane suspected the only reason why she wasn't spending any time with her was because Isla was with Arturo, and Jane didn't think the other man wanted to share his soon to be wife with anyone else right about now.

Still, the texts were nice.

Except for the fact that Isla seemed to think Jane was with Silvio.

Jane didn't want to destroy her friend's happy ideas about how this was going to end just yet, so she didn't correct her.

Isla would know soon enough, and there was no point in getting into the details when Jane wasn't so sure what they were yet.

All she knew was that Silvio had walked out on her, put eighty grand in her account, and was currently ignoring her texts.

She had a lot of time on her hands to think. She definitely didn't need to worry about going back to work at the coffee shop anymore, though after what happened with Greg, Jane didn't think she would be heading back.

With the money she had, she could take a year or two off work entirely before she had to worry about working again, so that was a plus.

It didn't feel like a plus, and things were still depressing as all hell at night when she was alone in bed, but she was going to take it.

There was more good news, however. Through Isla, Jane was able to figure out when Derrick woke up.

Robert was with him, taking care of him, which was apparently annoying Derrick, but he put up with it, according to Isla.

The thing that pissed him off the most was being jumped and put out of commission.

Jane thought of Calling Derrick, but decided that would be too awkward, so she texted him instead.

She was a writer, but she couldn't figure out what to say to the man who was nearly killed defending her best friend.

Jane texted him thanking him, wishing him a speedy recovery, and ending it with the hope that maybe they could meet up for a coffee to talk at some point.

It was bad enough Silvio blamed himself for what happened. She didn't want Derrick doing that either.

Derrick was more perceptive than Isla was, it seemed, but maybe that was part of his training.

Glad to hear you're all right. I'm so sorry for dropping the ball on you. Of course we'll meet up? Why wouldn't we?

Jane stared at her screen, and she cringed, then she groaned when the second text came in.