Chapter 38

Chapter Thirty-Eight

The heavy twang of metal against Greg's head was enough to make Jane worry she killed him, especially when he fell over so hard.

She shouldn't have worried, but a piece of her couldn't help it.

The police rushing into the garage, taking the shove from her and putting Silvio into handcuffs was enough to make her forget all about her need to worry about the guy who wanted to chop her up and put her into a blender.

Now she had to worry abut Silvio.

What were they doing? Did they not realize Silvio was the one who was being attacked? Did they not realize the bad guy was on the floor?

She yelled about as much at them, but that didn't stop them from leading her to one of their cruisers.

"It's all right, Jane," Silvio said, grunting as he was pulled to his feet. "Do what they say."

Was he out of his mind? They were treating Greg as though he was the victim here. They called for an ambulance for him as they tended to the man on the floor.

She was furious.

"He was the one who was stalking me!" she yelled. Why wasn't it getting through the thick skull of the guy in the cruiser with her. "Where is Detective Yoko? This is bullshit!"

Silvio was being led to another cruiser, hands behind his back, face bloody, as though he were the criminal here.

"What's your fucking problem?"

The police tried to speak softly to her, asking her what happened between the two men, and it was only when she realized they were taking notes did she manage to calm down at least a little.

Fine. This was still a load of garbage the way Silvio was being treated, but if it got her and Silvio out of this sooner, then so be it.

She told them everything, insisting that Detective Yoko would be able to back it all up when he got here, and that Derrick would confirm it all when he arrived from Isla's house as well.

They asked for Derrick's description as well. She gave it to them.

Jane wanted to jump right out of her skin. This was too much. She couldn't take this anymore. These guys worked so slowly and all they did was ask about Silvio. They didn't tell her what happened to Isla or to Derrick, or to anyone else who worked in Arturo's house, and the more they didn't tell her, the worse her imagination ran.

It really made her hate that she'd taken up a career where she needed her imagination to run wild. This was insane.

The police kept circling back to Greg. The ambulance came, along with Detective Yoko.

Nothing settled her nerves.

Part of her was glad she didn't kill the man.

But Jane was no saint, and as his neck was put into a brace and Greg was loaded into the back of an ambulance, she couldn't help but think how much neater of a wrap up this would be if he had died.

Jane was let out of the cruiser when Detective Yoko spotted her there and ordered her release.

"They took Silvio away." It was the first thing she said to him. "Why did they take him away?"

"It's policy," replied the detective, a little too calmly, considering the shit storm that had just happened.

He hadn't been here for it, but Jane had to wonder how no one else felt the intense beating in her chest. Jane felt wild and out of control as a panic coiled inside her, threatening to spring even after the excitement was done.