Chapter 37

Chapter Thirty-Seven

"It's...my boss from work...?"

Jane could vaguely hear Silvio talking to her on the other end of the phone as she watched her boss walk into the garage.

Greg looked around. He did what Jane had done the first time she'd come into this garage, which was do a quick sweep of the many impressive vehicles before his neck and head did the wide circular view from the floor, tot he far wall, and even the ceiling.

Jane ducked down when his gaze scanned across her limo. Her heart swelled and shrank, swelled and shrank, each hard beating causing terrible pain in her chest that reached out t the rest of her body and clenched it tight.

He looked around a little more, but then rushed to the window of one of the vehicles. He pulled on the door handle, and the car immediately started to scream as the alarm sounded before he put his hands to the glass and tried to see inside.

"Jane, stay quiet and still. He won't be able to see you through the glass. Do you understand me? Jane!"

Jane nodded, forgetting he couldn't see her. She put the phone back to her ear. "I-I understand."

That didn't make the situation any less terrifying as he went to the next car and had a look inside, setting off the alarm there, too.

Sugar growled low in her throat. Jane snapped her attention to the dog and rushed to the back seat. "Shh, Sugar, shhh. "You're all right. None of that now, come on."

Jane put her arms around her dog, holding Sugar close and listening to the vibrations in her massive chest as Sugar watched the man outside check each car.

The good news was that he wasn't busting in any of the windows to see for himself that there was no one inside. Some of the car doors were unlocked, and he was able to see for himself. Which meant when he made it to her and tried to open one of the doors, he wouldn't think anything of it.

If Sugar started barking, he would know they were in here.

Did he have a gun? A knife? That looked like blood on his hands, but she could be seeing that wrong. Maybe she was wrong. It might not be red. These windows were dark.

Jane wanted so badly to be wrong. Please don't let that be blood.

And please, let this stupid dog she loved stop growling at crazy stalker outside.

He hit the windshield of Silvio's Mercedes with his fist before moving onto the Lambogini.

If he didn't find what he was looking for there, he would come to the limo. The limo was next in line.

Oh shit. Oh shit.

"Silvio, he's almost here."

Sugar couldn't seem to contain her growling anymore. She started barking, loudly. The short hairs on her back stood right up. They felt tough and spiked beneath her hands, and then the man looked right at her. As though he could see through the glass.

"Silvio..."

Greg rushed to her limo. To the door she was closest to.

The smart thing would have been to hold still, to not move when he got so close, but she couldn't help herself. It was an instinct for her to move, to get as far away from him as possible.

"He can't see you, Jane. I promise, he can't see you."

She wasn't so sure about that. Sugar wouldn't stop barking now, and even if he really couldn't see her through the glass, he could hear Sugar, and he must have seen movement when she'd launched herself to the other seat in the limo.