Chapter 39

Chapter Thirty-Nine

Silvio had to go back inside to check on his family. He held tightly to Jane's hand as he did. He gripped her fingers tight enough to hurt them, and even though Jane wasn't sure how welcome she would be, she was glad to be with him.

Isla hugged her tight, kissed Jane's cheeks and cried a little. Jane felt guilty for putting her through what she had, and then even more guilty for nearly leaving her behind without saying a word to her.

Jane was shocked when even Arturo hugged her. It was quick, but still.

"Are you all right?"

Jane nodded, still embarrassed and kind of sad that anyone worried about her at all.

It was Derrick and Robert who had been attacked, the rest of the staff and Isla who had been traumatized.

Arturo and Silvio seemed pleasantly surprised that Sebastian was there at all. Sebastian crossed his arms, shrugging as though it were no big deal, but again, he seemed shocked and confused when Arturo pulled his brother close.

Isla smiled weakly, and even Silvio couldn't resist pulling his brother to him, holding him tight.

Eventually, Sebastian pushed his brothers away, muttering about how they weren't here for him and he wasn't there for them, but it seemed the damage was already done.

This had turned into a sort of impromptu family reunion.

No one mentioned the shades Orlando refused to take off.

Jane really hoped hadn't been drinking before coming here, but then again, if he had, she couldn't judge him for it.

Silvio went to see Martina, whom he hugged tightly and kissed on her cheek, and then he made sure to call the rest of Arturo's staff, anyone who had been anywhere near Greg or his father when they had snuck onto the property.

It was strange for Jane to believe that Arturo's home was so vast, and that he had so much staff working for him, that there were people who had been in the home during the break in and scuffle, who had no idea what was going on until well after the police and ambulance arrived.

Jane kept waiting for someone to be angry with her, to point out how this was entirely for her fault for not being more careful, for being stupid enough to let the enemy get close, but it never happened.

Jane wasn't sure what to think about that.

When Silvio went to Derrick's room, it was the hardest. She waited outside. Jane had already been inside and she knew there would be no change this soon.

Silvio was quiet when he came back out, rubbing at his chin.

Jane waited for it again, that acknowledgement that this was on her, that Derrick would be awake right now if she had just been more carefull.

Again, the blame didn't come. Silvio reached for her hand, sighed as he threaded his fingers through hers.

"Are you all right?"

Silvio and Derrick were friends. I couldn't have been easy for him to see the other man like that.

"Yeah. He'll one fine. He's tough." Silvio smiled. "I wouldn't have trusted him to watch after you if he wasn't."

At least he was being positive about it.

Jane watched him carefully, searching for any sign that he might be even slightly irritated with Derrick for leaving her behind. She didn't see it, but that didn't mean it wasn't there.