Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

Jane did find Derrick, which was easy enough. He was in the kitchen, leaning against the counter next to the stainless steel fridge with a bottle of water in hand.

She supposed someone like him, who stayed in as great shape as Silvio, who was apparently trained as a bodyguard, or whatever he was exactly, wasn't going to be having sodas or beers on the job.

He didn't smirk or smile at her, which she was appreciative of, considering he had to know what she and Silvio had been doing in the limo.

As she walked up to him, he lowered the bottle, clearly sensing something was up.

She supposed that's what Silvio paid him for.

"Everything all right?" He glanced behind her. "Silvio left?"

"To Arturo's house," she said. "He got a call, I guess something happened. He left suddenly and told me to tell you so you would know."

Derrick nodded. He reached into the side pocket of his suit jacket. He took his phone in hand and started tapping the screen with his thumb, swiftly sending off his text.

"I want to go over there."

The little notification sound dinged on his phone before he looked back up at her. "Can I ask why?"

Jane steeled her shoulders. "Isla lives there. The way Silvio looked before he left made me worried about her."

"You can't sent her a text?"

"She's just next door and I want to make sure she's all right. Friends don't send other friends how-are-you-texts when something happened and you're right next door."

Another notification sounded on his phone. Derrick looked down at it. "I think this is a little personal. It doesn't look like it has anything to do with Isla."

"She's getting married to Arturo. How could it not have something to do with Isla?"

Another notification sounded. Derrick sighed. "If I leave to go over there, can I get your word that you'll stick around here?"

It was on the tip of her tongue to say yes. He would have her sworn promise that she would stay put.

It's what one of her characters would have done. They would have lied and snuck off after the fact.

But Jane wasn't one of her characters. She wasn't that brave, and she didn't want to lie to Derrick.

Her hesitation seemed to be answer enough. Derrick looked up at the ceiling, his chest expanding in a heavy sigh before he let it out. "All right, come with me."

Jane blinked. "Wait, really?"

Derrick pushed himself away from the counter, hardly looking at her, and Jane quickly followed after him as he started walking.

"This location is heavily secured. Gates, lights, cameras, that kind of thing, but if I let you wander off in the middle of the night, doesn't matter if it's right next door, Silvio will have kittens."

Jane couldn't help but smile at the wording. She wouldn't have thought anyone would describe Silvio as the kitten having type, but another part of her liked that Derrick could see how much Silvio cared.

They went back to the garage. Jane was glad Derrick didn't go immediately towards the limo. To her, it felt a little too close to cheating to get into the same car with another man minutes after she and Silvio finished making love.