Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five

They stayed up for another four hours. Because of the season, it was still dark when six a.m rolled around, but staying up that late did something to Jane's inner clock that she didn't like.

She'd pulled all nighters before with her writing sessions, sometimes catching naps in the afternoon to make up for the loss of sleep, but while those brought on so much finished work loads, so many words written down, the next day always left her groggy and aching.

She'd learned the hard way to never have one of those writing marathons the night before a work shift.

It couldn't be helped, however. Jane's revelation to herself made it nearly impossible for her to sleep.

Isla wasn't much better. Though she was wonderful and tried her best to be as supportive to Jane as possible during her touch patch, it was clear she had a lot of her attention focused on her phone.

Awaiting updates to Orlando's condition after he made it to the hospital.

Jane wanted those updates as well. She didn't want to be left in the dark with this. If Orlando was all right, then Silvio would be all right.

It was a selfish reason to want someone to recover, but she hoped Orlando would forgive her if he ever found out.

Which he wouldn't.

Even after discovering Orlando's condition, they still huddled in bed around the phone.

"They're giving him fluids," Isla said, watching the phone carefully as more text notifications sounded. "He'll be in observation for a few hours, but they don't think he has alcohol poisoning."

Jane sighed. "That's good."

She was sure it was what Martina and Silvio had been worried about to begin with.

Isla smiled at the news.

"Did the other brother show up?" Jane asked. "Sebastian? Did anyone tell him what happened?"

Silvio didn't seem to get along well with Sebastian. He and Arturo didn't play nice, it seemed, and Jane only knew bits and pieces of why, but she did know that Sebastian did get along well enough with Orlando. It seemed important that he know about it.

Isla nodded, texting quickly. "I'll ask if they let him know."

The response she got was quick.

"Arturo said yes."

"Yes as in he knows?"

"I guess so. It was the only word he sent."

Isla showed her phone. Jane had a look.

A single word on the screen right after Isla's question.

Yes.

Jane leaned back. "That can't be good."

"Are you sure?" Isla looked back at the screen. "It's just a one word answer. He might be too busy to send a longer response."

"Possibly," Jane said, but really, she was thinking about what that single curt word could mean.

She didn't always like looking too deeply into what text on a screen could mean. Jane was a writer. She knew full well that most of communication happened with body language and the tone of voice used, as well as the look in a person's eyes when they were in front of each other.

Text threw all of that out the window and left her with cold, expressionless, pixels.

Still, it wasn't impossible to read annoyance in a one word answer and be correct.