Friends only - Damian x CJ

Ok I'm sorry 1 more CJ and Damian story. Maybe two...

CJ was sitting at his locker which was right beside Damian's. Since the moment they met they've always been best friends. Damian was the first one to open up to CJ, and his rookie year he actually cared about him. While everyone else just pushed him off. With three years under his belt he can handle things on his own now though. He doesn't need Damian to baby him around, and Damian knows that. Damian being 24 has played long enough to know when players don't need your help anymore. That doesn't mean that they still aren't best friends. They do literally everything together. Literally everything. It's came to the point of shipping. CJ and Damian hate it, well that's what CJ thinks. It bothers them, why would anyone ship two friends? Sure they do gay things, but that's what all guys do with their best friends. Right?

I looked up from my phone when Damian sat down beside me. "Hey!" I said smiling at him. He smiled at me. His smile was cute. What no CJ! No strings attached remember!

"You did amazing tonight." Damian said.

"I did amazing? Your the one who won us the game." I said and he shrugged.

"I just tried my hardest." He said. I smiled at him. He sighed and looked at me. "CJ?" He said and I looked at him. "I think I'm catching feelings for you." He admitted to me.

What?! What about no strings attached?! Yeah I kinda like him but not in a romantic way! Things about him are cute but how could I love him like that? What am I supposed to say? I can't break his heart I love him to much to do tha... love? Did I just think that I love Damian Lillard. I looked up at him.

"Look I know we said no strings attached but I feel like I've known you forever when I've only known you for three years. We do everything together CJ. It's hard not to get attached to someone you do everything with. You don't have to like me back, I don't care about that. I mean I do, but I just had to get if off my chest." He said and he looked away. I didn't say anything. I couldn't say anything. What was I supposed to say? "I'm gonna get going." He said and he stood up. "Good game CJ." He said and he walked out.

Damian POV
I slammed my fist in the horn. "I fucked up!" I yelled to myself. I pulled out my phone and texted him.

Me
Hey! I'm sorry for what I said, it's just a little thing I'll get over it soon.

He didn't reply but I saw that he had read it. That's the thing though. I knew what I had sent him was a lie. I'd never get over him. There was something about him. No there wasn't just one thing about him, it was everything about him. I was never gonna get over him. But if he doesn't want to be together and that's what makes him happy then that's what makes me happy. I drove home and walked in. What have I done? I feel lonely. I feel like CJ isn't here for me anymore. Just as I thought that there was a knock on the door. I opened it and was immediately wrapped in a hug. "CJ?" I said shocked. He placed his forehead on mine.

"I'm sorry." He whispered. "I should have said something. I should have said something before you left, I should have said something when you texted me." He said.

"CJ it's fine it's my own problem not yours. You don't need to handle my problems."

"It's not just your problem if it even is a problem Damian. Your to hard on yourself." He said and he sighed. "I guess what I'm trying to say is I think I like you to Damian." He said and I chuckled.

"CJ you don't have to say that to make me feel better." I said and he shook his head no.

"I'm not Damian." He said and i smiled.

"Really?"

"Really." He said.

3 years later
CJ's POV

"Hey CJ." He said and I looked at him. He was smiling. "Um I uh... look I've known you for a long time, and we've grown closer and closer the more time we've spent together. I love you CJ McCollum, and I'm ready to take the next step in life with you. So CJ McCollum, will you marry me?" He asked and I gulped. How do I tell him no? I can't spend the rest of my life with my friend. I thought we could end somehow. I'm not what's best for him, I can't be. But apparently I make him so happy and he makes me so happy. If you love someone you'll do what's best for them and what they want. But what do I do? Do I do what he wants, or what's best for him? I had to do what's best for him right? I'm definitely not what's best for him. I'm just CJ McCollum, I'm not anyone special.

"Damian." I said and his face broke. How was I gonna say it. He slowly stood back up. "I um uh..." I stopped as a not formed in my throat. I couldn't cry in front of him. "Damian when you love someone you do what they want, and you do what's best for them. But in this case I have to chose one of them. Damian I'm not what's best for you. I'm just CJ McCollum, I'm no one special. I can't let you throw your life away by marrying me."

"No CJ." He said and he held my hands. "CJ you mean everything to me. Your so much more to me than just CJ McCollum. You are someone special CJ. No one makes me feel how you make me feel." He said. "I love you CJ. I thought you loved me?"

"Damian I do." I said genuinely.

"Then why won't you marry me?" He asked hurt. "You don't have to make excuses. There's a reason you don't wanna marry me and I wanna know. It shouldn't come down to what you just said, you should trust I love you. And if you loved me then you would have said yes and not have thought about it so why'd you say no?"

"Because well always be just friend Damian." I said before I could stop it from coming out of my mouth.

"What?" He said. His voice shook.

"Damian I said I liked you way back then to make you feel better. Of course I like you, but I feel like we're still just friends. I feel like we aren't a couple. We're always gonna be just friends Damian." He said the box back in his pocket.

"Then why would you date me? Drag me through this for three years?"

"Because I love to see you happy Damian! I love you! I truly do! But even if I love you I feel like we act like friends we don't act like a couple. Damn I wish we could be a normal couple so I could marry you but we can't. It hurts me just as much as it hurts you Damian. Every night I prayed that it would change so that when this day would come I could say yes. I could say yes to us living together Damian, but it never changed. None of it changed. I wish it did. Maybe I'm to blame. I don't know. But I do know two things. One is that I'll always love you Damian. This is all so messy and complicated but I'll always love you. And second off, Damian were meant to be friends and friends only."