Chapter XXIX

[Daniel}

I stared in quiet fear as Gauge paced in front of the rogues. He was never a truly scary person (unless someone took the food he was saving for later...) but now, every step sent a chill of uncertainty through my spine. At least he hasn't become violent, that's for sure.

"You put me in a tough spot, rogue." His deeper, rougher voice even scared me at times. It didn't change a whole lot, just enough that you know he wasn't having the best of times. "You refuse to talk to my interrogators, and claiming to be the Omega in your ex pack."

Gauge stepped close to the bars, his slightly longer hair obstructing part of his face from me, but I knew the dark danger that lurked in his eyes.

"My patience has been running thin lately, and I would like you to know that I will not tolerate any refusal to talk in my lands. You can not march into my territory, begging for help, and not even say for what. You want my warriors to fight a battle that they can't even see." By now, Gauge had reached out and gripped tightly onto the silver laced bars of the cell. I could see a bit of smoke rising from his surely burning hand. A slight head tilt forward and I could see how much he didn't care about his hand, keeping his serious look forward. "By the time I get back to you, you better have resolution." The poor terrified Omega nodded, inching as far back as he could in the small cell.

I thought it was a good time to interfere, placing my hand onto his shoulder in a firm grip and pulling him back. Gauge didn't fight my touch, letting himself be pulled away to the exit.

"The Thetas want to talk about a new patrol pattern," I quietly mentioned, dropping my hand and following him to the pack house.

"Tell them that they will find four new patterns in my office, and stop playing secretary. It's annoying." His voice become quieter, a soft and tender tone to it under the near overpowering sense of pain. His eyes glanced to meet mine, and I could see the true extent of pain that he was in. Not the physical type, at least.

"Alpha, you need to rest-"

"And give me more time to realise what I fucking lost?" His gaze hardened and all signs of weakness left.

He had been like that since the night that our mates lost connection. I was like that too, until I could finally feel my mate faintly enough to show he was still alive.

Gauge never had that.

It just had to spiral out of control to the point he had to block out his wolf to keep from hurting anyone, mostly himself. He could still feel the pain of losing his mate, but he had more control now.

"I'm sorry..." I turned my eyes down to the ground, maybe finally letting the idea of Gauge resting leave my mind.

"Don't apologise. You were saying your opinion. Thanks for worrying though, I'll be fine." A complete lie but I will let him do as he pleases for now. "Mind link the Thetas now, I'm going to my office." He sighed and walked ahead of myself, and I knew that he was going to cry for a little bit in his office and cover it up with his seriousness.

Sometimes, I wished he took up the offer for therapy.

~*~

The office was empty when I came by at the end of the day. That means he was in his room, surrounded by the faded scent of his mate.

Ethan's parents actually brought some of his clothes to Gauge, knowing that his scent would comfort the loss just a bit better. Ethan's pack even had a memorial for him and his other lost friend, Sage, I think. It was just a pillar with their paw prints next to each other.

It has only been a year and a half since we initially lost connection and their loss still weighs heavily on our minds.

I sat down on the front porch, staring blankly at the moon. Is Denny looking at it too? I wrapped my black wings around myself to sustain some warmth, squinting at the stars.