Chapter XXVI

[Ethan}

There was a ringing left in my ears after Denton's initial statement.

"What...?" I was barely able to find my voice, even if it was just a whisper.

Denton's face softened and he looked down at the crying boy. "We have until this upcoming Friday to get ourselves onto the plane." My heart stopped beating again and my lungs constricted.

"That's... Three days from now...." My mate whispered, horror in his eyes as he seeked mine; maybe waiting for me to say it was all a joke. I too, hoped it was just a prank.

I looked back at the red-head, only to see him crying silently while holding his own mate. I was almost in too much shock to say anything, my heart sinking.

The war was at its peak. There was a strong chance one of us was not going to come back.

Then I had to make these last days count.

~*~

We were on the plane for over a few hours now, and everyone looked solemnly at the clouds.

After Denton and I left Gauge's pack that following morning, my thoughts were always on him. Then when I had to tell my parents....

Mary.... The happiness in her eyes when she saw me, and her screams when I left. They echoed in my mind.

Behind me, I could hear Sage sniffling, more than likely thinking about his baby brother. In front of me, Terrace and Hotch leaned against each other as they slept. I couldn't help but feel a bit upset that I couldn't be with my own mate for a bit longer.

"Mint?" Kell offered from the parallel seat across from mine, having to lean over Jessie who had fallen asleep. I took one and popped it in my mouth, relaxing as the flavor reminded me of my mom's tea. "Denton?" She offered one to the tired male next to me.

He looked up from his distracted gaze out of the window. "Thanks." He mumbled, leaning against me and sighing. "Promise me." He held out his pinky. I already knew what promise he was talking about. The one where we all go back home in one piece. I wrapped my pinky around his, looking away.

"I'll do everything in my power." I could feel him smile against my arm, and I wished I could truly guarantee we all come back.

~*~

We fell into routine fairly quickly, our squad being thrown into a quick assessment course before they just tossed us to the front lines like before.

But unlike then, we were taking huge risks. Now that we have things to return to, we became fairly cautious.

It was only now that I realised how reckless we were before.

Distance. I could feel my mate's sadness, and when the focus from the day would fade, Denton and I struggled with our beasts and the connection we had with our other halves.

Sometimes, I would feel so cold without him, so far from my daughter.

I could feel the tremors from the grenades, and her cries would ring in my head instead.

~*~

Poison from the bullet coursed through Denton's arm, his muffled screams putting everyone on edge. Sage kept glancing out the tiny opening of the old house we hid in, Terrace kept his eyes focused through the scope. Jess was trying to help Kell make a quick antidote while I fixed my gaze out the back window.

"U-vec, incoming." I pointed my weapon out of the concealed hole in the wall, watching anxiously as I could hear Kell try to quiet Denton.

Unfamiliar words floated in the air, and I was quick to gesture everyone to crouch and stay away from the openings.