Chapter XXVII

[Ethan}

My head swarmed with unfamiliar faces. I swear I knew these people, but I couldn't think of their names in this state of mind.

I could only think about two.

Gauge and Mary. I remember those names, their faces, the closer memories we started, and that's what kept me alive. I was determined to hold them once again.

Even though I almost forgot my name, the other's would keep reminding me.

The red-head Denton was always a breath away from dying, and it filled me with helplessness that I couldn't help, that these chains held me back. For the small amount of time he was awake, he would murmur a name. Daniel. And then we would start apologising.

Jess was no better. She barely would be able to keep her eyes open without painfully coughing, nor could she speak or take full breaths. Most of the time she would be in the state between awareness and unconsciousness to escape the pain. Sage had been fine, for the most part, but lost feeling to his body. The cuffs bolted to the wall kept his blood from circulating as well as it should be. The silence was a bit easier to deal with since he would fill it with his questions directed to no one in particular.

Terrace groaned a name from time to time, he would clutch his side, whisper something and call out for Hotch. The chains that held him down and his injured side didn't let him stretch out, and now I doubted he could even bring his legs out of the constant fetal position he was in.

We all severed connections to our beast forms some time ago, saving them from the aches we had to endure. That made me feel a bit better, knowing I wasn't causing any more unnecessary pain. However, I could still hear my beast form call out to his mate.

There wasn't anything I could do to help anyone, not even myself. The proof was evident on my cuffed wrists weighed down by my own weakness and thick chains.

There was some speech I didn't bother listening to coming closer to our cell, and my eye ached as I glanced up to meet the men's degrading gaze.

They grinned victoriously as if they won a bet, to see how fast they could break the unbreakable.

I could faintly hear a commotion going outside, and it was my turn to grin.

Their confusion turned to panic as they turned around, each one shot between the eyes. Their hot blood, the only liquid I have felt in who knows how long, splattered on my face. I couldn't keep my eye open for much longer to see our savior, slumping against the wall and accepting the painless sleep in sweet satisfaction.

~*~

I felt weightless as I laid on top of what I could only be described as clouds. There was a constant beeping, but it bothered me none while I kept sleeping.

Or at least I think I am sleeping.

"He's conscious, sir." A quiet voice said from my left.

"Good. When he wakes, tell him he's been honorably discharged." I think this vaguely familiar voice was General Bolt, but I wasn't all too sure.

"Yes sir. May I allow Sergeant Earnest in?" Earnest?

"Yes, if Sergeant Patel is well enough, then of course."

"Sir yes sir."

The door clicked to open, and as one pair of feet left, another entered.

"Oh my goddess, Ethan.... What did they do to you?!" I remembered this voice. Kelly.

Her warm hand touched my forehead, tracing my left brow over the empty socket. I shivered, willing my eye to open, but to no avail. She traced my gashes over my arms and shoulders, then the burn marks, the ones created from the white hot metal bar they would poke me with at times. I'm sure those were scarred over, from what I could feel, though.