Chapter XIX

[Denton}

I looked up when I felt several stares on me. Holy hell I forgot Ellis was here! Damn bastard and his observing techniques.

I finally saw the woman stare at me, and like a good soldier, I stood at attention and saluted.

"At your service, ma'am!" Damn, my arm is killing me.

"No need for such manners, mister...." I realized she was waiting for my name, and I quickly answered, going at ease. 

"Denton. Denton Keffery." I rubbed my arm gently. How hard did she push me?

"Sorry, mom. I found my mate, and he is injured." The boy-who-hates-me-for-hugging-his-mate spoke up.

"Your mate?" She asked, completely ecstatic. The older man nodded and answered for his son.

"Yes. He took off right after the ceremony." He ruffled his son's hair.

There was a silence before Gauge's mother asked me.

"If I may ask, what happened to your arm?" I could see genuine worry, watching her step up to me and take my arm in her hold, making me flinch.

"Just... an accident." I pulled my arm back, holding it firmly to my side.

"Denton, just answer the damn question." Ellis almost warned, scaring everybody in the room and making them jump at his sudden voice.

You may be asking, how we know each other, so the answer is that we are actually allies.

I growled slowly before answering.

"A total of three grenades. It's not even half as bad as Ethan's injuries." I sighed, completely stressed and running my good hand through my hair.

"Three?!" Denton shouted, his wolf coming close to the surface.

Sadly, this time his wolf did get control, but thankfully, he didn't shift.

"WHERE IS THAT SON OF A BITCH?!" He growled, prowling closer. I rolled my eyes, keeping my cool.

"Dead. Yep. Dead. Probably haunting the grounds or something." Apparently, it wasn't a good enough answer as he lunged at me.

I sighed and lifted my leg, giving him a hard jab on the stomach. He stumbled and fell back, but came at me again, this time with more force.

"Dang. You just don't learn, huh?" I quickly landed a few paralyzing taps on his body, making him again pressed against the wall with his arms in a lock.

He fell limp, and I quickly placed him on the bench.

"You need to learn control." I grinned, watching his eyes tiredly land on me.

"Fuck you." He barely managed to seethe at me.

"Young man!" His mother scolded, making him shrink back.

"Thanks for the offer, but... nah."  I laughed slightly, standing up and facing the former Alpha. "If it is okay with you, I would like to stay until my brother is better."

"He's your brother?!" Damn kid.

"Kinda. But we are brothers in arms." I pointed out, making him go slack. "Anyway, as I was saying, please make him enjoy his party." I bowed in respect, looking up to see Tothen nodding and dragging his son away, the Luna thanking me and following behind them with Ellis on their heels.

I sat down in the bench, rubbing my arm as then the most beautiful scent filled my nose.

Is it?!