Chapter X

{Ethan}

We were already home, the twins singing and talking about the things they learned today, laughing and giggling.

Upon arriving, I had went to my room to drop off my guitar and bag, only holding the envelope and box.

I went to the kitchen where every one was, the twins on stools as Summer was babbling on about this made up story and Winter kept giving comments here and there. I went up to Marcos, almost feeling bad as I gave him the box.

He smiled, but stopped when he noticed my sad frown.

"What is it, pup?" I waited until he set down the box before I gave him the dreaded letter.

"Marcos?" Mom went up next to him, leaning over to see what the letter was.

Dad's face went completely pale as he began to cough viciously, hunching over. 

I acted through instinct and took him to the living room where I took out a small bottle of rubbing alcohol. I held it under his nose and he began to calm down. Mom and the twins rushed, mom holding the box while ripping it open and revealing a bottle of red and white.

She held it to his lips and eased it in. 

Dad was still and fell limp, panting heavily.

"Daddy...?" Summer went over to him and leaned in to check if he was okay, Winter at her heels.

I sat back, feeling guilty. Mom looked over to me and bent down to my fetal position on the ground.

"What was that letter, Ethan?" I gulped nervously and looked at her.

"I'm going to be drafted, mom. Fourteen days is all I have." I began to cry as her face paled and she stumbled back, almost like she was physically pushed.

I hugged her and she hugged me in a death grip, crying.

Winter looked over to us and became worried, holding his sister.

This was what Ethan most feared. His family crying because of him.

~*~

It was hours after that scene and I had found myself in my room, beginning to softly play my sadness away.

I was at that point I didn't know what to do. It was then I heard the door knock and Denton's voice drift through. Missing and striking a wrong cord, I placed his guitar down and rushed down to see Denton, Sage, and Terrace. For once, I was jealous of Terrace's Beta, Kris. He had barely turned seventeen a few days ago, and that meant he wouldn't be drafted.

I was hugged by Denton, looking down to see him teary.

"Flora and Fauna is missing! Rogues are there too, and we can't find them! Please help us!" I looked at him, confused.

"Wait, what?"

Denton only balled his fists around my poor shirt.

"I told my sisters that I was going to be drafted, and they just ran away!" He explained. Not even a second later, I was running towards Denton's territory, the three others at my heels. Half way through the run, I shifted into my daiya, growling and going faster.

My daiya was a dark grey, with black tipped tails and then white accents on my paws, on my shoulders, under my eyes, and my nose, plus the white diamond marking on my forehead.

My eyes flared a new color of red, searching the now rogue infested lands. I summoned my blue shards, hitting the rogues that dared to cross my path. 

I eventually stopped, looking around and then charging forward where I imagined the two young girls being. Like expected, I had found the two female teens in the field where we used to hang out a lot when Terrace and I would visit frequently.

I gave a sharp bark, lowering myself and allowing them to climb onto my back and then hold onto my fur.

With a quick twitch, I was already running back to the pack house, taking all the hits that was aimed at us by turning my side to their jaws, or giving them a leg to chomp before they were overwhelmed by my shards.

When we arrived, I shifted into my normal black wolf before the girls ran to the Luna, crying. With a small whine, I ran back and helped fight all the rogues that tried to ambush us.

A few hours went by before we finally managed to kill all the feral rogues, leaving only the sane ones to interrogate and stuff.

With a small growl, I reunited with Sage and the others, shifting and putting on some shorts that were brought to us.

"Terrace?" Sage managed to wobble, looking at us as Terrace hummed in acknowledgement

"Why didn't you tell me you had a twin?" Then he fell over, passing out. I managed to catch him before he fell, picking him up and cursing at the amount of blood there was in the area. His blood.

Denton cursed as we ran through the forest in human form, heading to the pack doctor. According to the current Alpha, aka, Denton's dad, not one of the pack had died, only some were severely injured.

We were held back by some of the war wolves, not letting us past unless we were a doctor or an injured. Alpha's orders. 

Time passed as we waited on news on Sage, only sharing looks instead of words.

"So how did your parents take it?" I whispered softly to Denton.

He sighed and shook his head. 

"Well, my mom had a breakdown, and for the first time ever, the pack saw their Alpha cry." He looked away. "I mean, I don't blame him. He's not only loosing an hair to the Alpha position, he is also loosing a son, and maybe, forever." He teared up a bit as he rubbed his knee, obviously feeling bad.

I took a deep breath and looked at Terrace. "How about yours?"

He looked at the floor. "They took it like Denton's. Yours?" I looked away and leaned back to stare at the roof.

"My dad was sick when I told him, and he had a coughing fit when I told him, and my mom cried her eyes out." I leaned forward and placed my elbow on my knee, resting my check on my palm and looking at them. "Do you know how Sage's parents took it?" Denton nodded and glanced at me.

"Same way as ours, just a lot more crying. Like, seriously, think about it. I have sisters. Terrace has a brother. You have a brother and a sister. Sage has no one. He is an only child." He looked over and saw a pack maid coming our way with glasses of water and some pieces of bread. We thanked her as we began to eat and drink, the bread and water soothing us in a weird way.

With a soft growl, I stood, placing a now empty glass on the table.

"Tell me how Sage is later. I want to spend every precious moment with my family." With a small nod, the others let me leave, not before Denton gave me a hug.

This was going to be the worst two weeks of my life....