Chapter XVII

{Ethan}

The trip to the pack lands was more or less uneventful.

Hayden and I talked. And made up.

I was still skeptical about him, but I was willing to try to be friends.

"We are here." Ellis mumbled from the passenger side, getting up and walking over to me. I grinned slightly and jumped out of the bag, hissing at the pain that shot through my veins. I waved the pain off and straightened myself out, however I laughed.

It's funny 'cause I'm gay.

"Ethan, come on." Ellis tapped my neck before heading out and into a clearing that was filled with the native pack members and the higher ups from the alliances.

The chatter fell silent as a group of people had entered the stage platform in the middle of the yard, about a football field away from where I stood.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I am proud to say that this is one of the best days of my life." The current Alpha bellowed in a deep tone to those who surrounded us. I stood by the trees, letting Ellis and Hayden go on without me.

It felt like I was intruding, like I didn't belong. This was an event meant for the new Alpha's pack and their allies, not some measly wanderer that was visiting.

From the trees, I watched the Alpha continue on and point out the history of the pack, then turning the history lesson into an emotional speech and how his son will mark his place in history.

Gauge, I think his name is. Nice, and unique.

"... and it is my honor to pass down the title to my son, Gauge Issac Richard!" The crowd clapped enthusiastically, whistling and shouting.

Then, the Elder walked up with a great energy.

"Let the ceremony begin!" The Alpha shouted before stepping down and letting the Elder speak.

"The Moon Goddess has chosen today to pass down a title down, so let it be so. Gauge. Tothen, do you allow Gauge Issac Richard to control your pack, to do as he thinks is best, to make a mark on history?" The old man spoke with wisdom, watching the Alpha, Tothen, to nod, turning to Gauge. "Then this young man is now Alpha."

Tothen knelt to his son, everyone else following his actions and bowed their heads and took a knee. The ones in wolf form bowed, and soon, everyone, including me, was bowing to the young man, all but the Elder.

Power surged the clearing like a great tidal wave, making me weak and making some waver and struggle to stay upright.

Then, the most wonderful scent filled the clearing with great strength, my head snapping up and seeing the young Alpha sniff the air. My eyes widened.

No. NonoNoNO! This can't be happening!

[Flashback)

"You disgust me. No one can love you. They will realize it is all a huge mistake. Just give up already." The words echoed and oozed into my mind, staining my consciousness with painful stabs.

"NO! YOU ARE WRONG! My mate is going to come along and love me!" I denied what I thought was now the truth, shrinking back into the corner as tears streamed down my denied expression.

"How do you suspect your 'mate' to love you when not even your mother wanted you?" That one stabbed me hard as everything seemed to become twisted, my little, eight year old mind believing every word, obeying every whim of whatever this older boy had said.

[Flashback end)

Why am I just remembering this?

But....