David | Chpt 16

Hello

Enjoy~

"Bitch!" I snorted, choking of my coffee thoroughly. Phil smiled in response as Dan let out a cackle. Coffee dripped from my chin to my lap and I placed a napkin to my nose. "You're really lucky that was iced or I would've burned my goddamn nose."

"Why is your body's natural response to someone tipping back your coffee sending it out your nose?" Henry asked and I shook my head.

"Well I don't know I'll have to ask it," I sasses and he sipped his own drink in response. "It's your fault."

"That's fair," Phil replied, placing an elbow on the back of my chair.

"Oh shoot I should go," Henry replied and pecked Dan's cheek.

"Wait! I'll go with you!" Dan said, standing up quickly. I watched Dan and Phil exchange a glance, Phil narrowing his eyes at a grinning Dan. The couple left and Phil awkwardly exhaled. He stood up and shifted into Dan's old seat across from me.

"Where were they headed?"

"Mmm, either Henry has work or they're banging," he said and I choked on my coffee again. So that was why they were eye arguing. Did Phil not want to be here?

"I really need to learn how to drink without choking," I replied, placing a hand to my collar.

"That would be helpful," he replied. I nodded. It was quiet for a second. As the time progressed I began to realize how much of a double date this seemed like. Now that the other pair left it was just awkward. Normally Phil would be the type to make conversation, but he was acting strange.

"This was like a weird double date," I blurted and he looked up. It was good Dan had invited me and not Phil or my mind would be more wild than it already is.

"What?"

"What?" I repeated and sipped my coffee.

"Did you want to go on a double date or something?" He asked and I almost choked again.

"What? No, of course not, I was just observing," I replied. He eyebrows dipped for a second and he nodded. My phone buzzed and I gratefully pulled out the distraction.

GET YOUR ASS TO YOUR HOUSE RN I HAVE NEWS

"Woah, I need to get home, apparently Avery is in my house and has news?"

"Yeah it's been a while anyways," he replied.

"You should come," I blurted again.

"To...your house?" He asked.

"No, the zoo. Yes my house," I replied and he smiled.

"Sure, I don't want to walk in on Denry anyways," he replied and I giggled. I placed a few bills on the table as a tip and we stood up. "I can get the tip."

"You paid dingus. I'll tip," I replied. He shrugged, knowing he wouldn't win this argument. We headed out and I waved a hand to catch a cab. A bright car pulled up and I opened the door, helping myself in. Phil climbed in after me. I leaned over to give the driver the address.

He smelled heavily of cologne, the type that smelled like soap. He reminded me of my grandfather, in a weird way. I sat back and he pulled up. I sat scrolling with my right hand, receiving a flow of messages from Avery.

I felt something grasp my hand and I glanced over at Phil. I glanced down at our now intertwined fingers with wide eyes, my stomach shifting uncomfortably. I watched his eyes dart forward and I saw the driver staring at my from the rear view mirror. The driver glanced away and I shifted closer to Phil, wrapping my fingers around his hand and placing a head on his shoulder.

We stayed like that for the rest of the drive, stopping outside my apartment building. Phil helped me out, still gripping my hand tightly until the driver pulled away. He let go once the guy turned the corner and I frowned, wishing he hadn't.

Wait what?

"Thanks, for that," I replied. He smiled.

"Any time." I felt my chest flutter and I turned away, digging my key from my purse. What was going on? I tried to flush the redness from my cheeks as I opened the door. It swung open and I headed in, Phil closing the door behind us.

"Avery?"

"GUESS WHAT?" I felt a figure jump on me and I caught them.

"Jesus Avery could you n—" she shoved me away and kicked her leg up for me to catch.

"LOOK AT MY ANKLE BITCH."

"Really Avery you need to chi—" I stopped when I saw a thick black date from today. I glanced up and she was grinning ecstatically at me.

"WHAT?!"

"DAVID ASKED ME OUT?"

"VET DAVID?!"

"YES!" She screeched and I tackled her in a hug.

"This is so great Aves, he's so wonderful," I replied and she nodded.

"I know! I just feel bad for him, I'm going to eat him alive," she replied and I laughed. "Oh. Hi Phil." Damn I forgot he was there.

"Hey Avery. Congrats!" He replied and she hugged him as well. I felt a sharp pain in my chest when she did, but I ignored it.

"Can I see it again?" I asked. She nodded and sunk into her hip to present her ankle. I squatted down and looked at the wonderful scratching on her ankle. I stared at it for a moment before paling.

That was slightly darker than the one on my hip. Whoever was on my hip was slowing and fading the rest of the dates, and I didn't even know them. I felt a sudden sickness in my abdomen and I stood up.

"You okay?"

"Yeah! You'll have to invite David over here so I can get to know my best friend's soulmate better," I replied. "Also quick question...why are you in my house?"

"Mmm I just came here from work," she replied. I glanced down seeing she wasn't wearing her scrubs. Instead I had looked over the fact she was wearing some of my clothes during the excitement.

"Are those my clothes?"

"What? Of course not!" I glanced at Phil who was watching us amused.

"Why are you wearing my clothes Avery?"

"Because I came from work and I could show off my tattoo in scrubs," she replied and I rolled my eyes.

"You know what, it suits you better anyways, just come inside you two."

"Oh come on, clearly your butt looks better in these jeans," she replied, glancing to Phil. My face went red.

"Shut up and get in my kitchen."

~Calymari