Step 1: Make Amends

Monse's POV:
"I liked it but I felt like I was faking it. I wanted to fit in so bad I didn't even realize what I was doing." I explain. "Why would anyone want you to change?" He ask. "I don't think she wanted me to change it just didn't feel like I belonged there until I started trying to." I say. "I can tell." He laughs and I give him a confused look. "The hair." He touches my hair for a second and I missed his touch but that's way too creepy to say out loud. "You don't like it?" I ask. "I like everything on you." He looks down. "Thanks." I say kind of awkwardly. "So I was thinking of going to that shelter in Riverside." He tells me. "And then what? You're safer here." I shake my head. "But you're safer when I'm not around." Does he really think that? "That's not true. You always try and keep me safe." I tell him. "Yeah, try and fail. Monse I love you way too much to see you get hurt. I'd do anything to keep you safe." He says sadly. "Hey, don't do this to yourself. I know you've only tried to protect me and I don't know how important that was until I was in Brentwood with Julia. Everything she did was selfish." I put my hand on his and he gives me a weak smile. We look at each other for a minute and I lean in a little. "We should probably go to sleep." He says. Does he not like me anymore? "You're probably right." I shrug. "I'm really sorry Monse. I never should've gave you an ultimatum. I just didn't want to lose you. I guess that didn't work." He laughs a little under his breath. "We'll figure it out." I promise him. "Do you even want to figure it out?" He asks. "What? Of course I do." I tell him. "You said we were toxic." He reminds me. "I know and that's exactly why we need to figure it out." I tell him. We talk for a few more hours and soon we're just cracking jokes and being stupid. "Hey, are you ok?" I ask. "Yeah, it just kind of hurts when I laugh but it's worth it." He smiles. "Let me see." I tell him. "No, you're just gonna worry about me." He says. "I'm more worried right now since I don't know how bad it is." I say. He lifts his shirt and he's bruised. "He kicked me in the ribs that's probably the worst part but other than that I'm fine." He's lying again. "Latrelle did this?" I ask and he nods. "You both really need to figure all this out." I tell him sadly. "Don't worry about us. It's not like he's gonna press charges and I doubt he'll be dealing on the block anytime soon." He tells me. "Ok so if it all works out like that then I'm not worried about him but I'm still worried about you." I admit.

Cesar's POV:
She still cares about me. After every shitty thing I've done she still cares. I need to make things right. "We should probably go to sleep." I tell her and she nods. "I can barely keep my eyes open." She yawns. I get up and turn off the lights. "I don't really feel like looking for a blanket, you can just sleep in the bed." Monse says. "No, it's fine I'll look for them." I say. "Please?" She asks. "I'll be ok on the floor." It feels weird with her right now. We're not dating but it doesn't feel like we're just friends either. "If you sleep on the floor then so will I." She persists. I lay down next to her but I can't sleep. She has her arms wrapped around me and it hurts but I don't want to move her. I missed being by her but we can't get back together until I fix all this shit. Next thing I know the sun comes up and she's still asleep. I slowly get up so she doesn't wake up. "Leaving?" Monty asks when I walk into the kitchen. "We just talked." I say quickly. "Didn't say you did anything else." He shrugs as he drinks some more coffee. "I just wanted to thank you. I know you did it all for Monse but-" He cuts me off before I can finish thanking him. "Don't thank me, you're right it was all for Monse." He says. "But it still means a lot." I say and he nods. "Don't fuck up again." He smiles. "Trust me, I'm gonna get my shit together. Tell Monse I'll see her later I got a couple things I need to do." First thing I do is go to Jasmine's house. If it wasn't for her I don't even know what would've happened. "Is everything ok? It's kinda early." She points out. "Yeah, I just want led to thank you. You didn't have to help me but you did and I have no idea how I could even start to repay you." I tell her. "I have an idea. Stop hurting Monse. You gotta decide if you want to be with her or not because that girl is crazy about you. Me and Monse might not be besties or nothin' but I can tell whatever you did really hurt her. I love you both but Monse deserves a good guy and if that's not you let her know now." She says seriously. "I'm not that guy... at least not right now but I'm trying. You guys have done so much for me I owe you guys my life." I tell her. She looks at me with a serious face for a minute and then she smiles. "You are a good guy, just make sure it isn't so deep deep down all the time." She says. "Listen if there's anything I can do let me know." I tell her. "I know what you did so even though I know you're trying I don't want a favor from a Santo." She shrugs.