Chapter twenty-two

My mind racing at this point, I just keep eye contact with Baldi, inching back slowly and steadily. He takes a few steps towards me as I get farther away.

"Well?!" He demands. "Why do you have my ruler?!!"

By now, I'm at the door. I slowly place my hand on the handle and say a quick, "Sorry, Mr. Baldi!!! The fate of the universe as we know it depends on me, and I need this to help!!!" I then twist the door handle and yank open the door, leaving Baldi standing there confused and sliding the jumprope handles into each hand while keeping the ruler in between two fingers, holding onto it as hard as I possibly could.

Baldi soon zipped out of the classroom, his red smile upside down and the end of his eyebrows nearly touching his eyes. His eyes were as red as his lips, but lucky for me, it seems as if his ruler contains his speeding power. He's only going as fast as Arts and Crafters does before he goes hectic. Nevertheless, there's still the chance that he could catch up to me.

I skip rope as fast as I possibly can, and make it towards the yellow doors, throwing my whole body against the door to force it open. It opens just as Baldi reaches out to grab the collar of my dress, and I'm thrown onto a metal floor. My dress gets shorter and my leggings get less tight until I'm laying on the floor in my t-shirt and jeans, my blond hair back to shoulder length. I look in my cell phone camera and see that my eyes are back to their normal brown and my skin is darker than the pale color it had been no less than thirty seconds ago.

I get to my feet and swipe away at dust on my clothes, my knuckles white from how long I had been clutching the ruler. I look around at the room I landed in, turning around to see the yellow doors from which I had come had vanished. I take in my surroundings.

The walls were several grays upon blacks as lines of metal seemed to be plastered against each wall. Buttons the same color as the blue liquid from the tubes blinked at me multiple times, some big enough and blinking rapidly enough to give one a seizure.

A metal path wound around the room and through a monstrous doorway. Even though I wasn't too taken with going to somewhere unknown, it was a step more close to finding the others than just standing here would be.

I began to follow the path, the rusty metal creaking with every step I took, the loud creaks echoing about fifty times with each step. Eventually, I made it to the doorway.

Peeking my head through the doorway, I saw a long hallway, and just down a few rooms, I noticed a faint, blue glow coming from one of the doorways. Pulling my jacket tighter around me and gripping the ruler more tightly, I proceeded to walk towards the room.

The hallway seemed to get darker with each step, voices in my head trying to overcome my determination with fear.

Turn back. It's safe in the other room. It's nice and quiet back there. You don't know what's in this room, it could be risky...shut up, voices.

I followed a line of wires along the wall with my eyes as I walked. There were six of them, tied together, each a different color. Purple, hot Pink, Green, Orangeish-yellow, baby pink, and red. This seemed very curious to me, as I proceeded towards the room.

Turning the corner, I realized that the wires came off of the wall and into the room I was going into. I stood there, following the wires with my eyes, from the wall, onto the floor, where they separated into the six single wires rather than one big jumble of them.

I followed the red one first, along the floor, winding between some other wires, to a glowing blue tube. The tube was as large as I remember it, only the figure that it contained was much smaller than a figure the tube could hold. I stood there, gaping at the tube as I heard footsteps run into the room behind me. I heard Mike gasp as well. The red wire ran towards one of the tubes, up and behind it, going through a hole and into the tube, where it turned into a needle with a whole lot of tape to hold it where it was.

But where the needle was was what scared me. It was in the neck of a small dog, a dachshund, with a caramel brown colored coat and curly fur around the ears. His eyes were closed, and he was floating around inside of the tube. I knew this dog.

This was Remus, the dog that did tricks associated with Harry Potter spells.

This was Brizzy's dog.