Chapter two

A few days earlier...

I sat in class, bored out of my mind. It seemed to go on forever. When would I need to know the lateral area of a cylinder in real life? I mean, it's not like I'm planning to be a mathematician, or anything like that.

With every word the teacher speaks, my focus breaks more. Why do I need to learn Geometry? I swear, I'm surprised that Geometry hasn't killed me already.

The teacher finally seemed to take a hint, so moments before the bell rang, he gave us a bit of free time. I walked out of the classroom to make a phone call; you can't hear yourself SPEAK in that room when we get free time.

All of a sudden, an announcement came onto the loudspeakers.

"Attention staff and students, we are going into lockdown mode. This is not a drill. Repeat, go down into lockdown mode." It all happened so fast. As soon as I hung up, the door shut and locked. All the lights were off. I started to panic. I banged on the door, screaming. Why weren't they opening??? There was no way they were going to let me in. I was terrified. How was I supposed to survive a real lockdown if I was outside in the hallway??? Running down the hallway, I turned in the direction of the bathroom and pulled on the door. Locked. Panicking even more now, I started running in every direction I could think of, looking for a place to hide. I did end up finding the janitor's closet. Turning the doorknob, I was relieved to find that it was open. Although it wasn't the cleanest place in school and definitely not a preferred hiding place as it had no lock, it was still a place I could hide.

Walking into the closet, I gently closed the door and crawled into a corner, hugging my knees and scrunching up as tightly as I could. I hear a voice outside of the closet.

"I think I heard someone close this door; could someone be in here?"

The voice honestly sounds familiar; although I can't put my finger on where I've heard it before. Another voice speaks.

"I don't know...if there is someone in there....let alone a child...and this school is on lockdown... they'll probably be scared out of their mind."

"But if we can get to the kid before the monsters do, they could help us."

Monsters? What monsters? What are they talking about, and why do all of these voices sound so familiar? I think my questions are soon going to be answered. The doorknob is turning.

My heart pounds inside my chest. My breathing gets faster, and I feel like I want to scream, but no sound is coming out. The door starts to open. That's it. I'm a goner. It opens all the way and when I see who's standing in the doorway, I just sit there, gaping at the person.

I can't believe this. I have to be dreaming. He's seen me, but I can't help but just stare.

"Are you okay?" Bijuu Mike asks, holding his hand out to me to help me out of the closet. Hesitantly, I take it, allowing him to pull me out of my hiding place. When I step out, I realise I'm surrounded by YouTubers.

Inquisitor master, Thinknoodles, Bijuu Mike, I Has Cupquake, Brizzy Voices, and Wengie?!! Am I dreaming?

Brizzy seems to read my mind. "No, you're not crazy. This is real. YouTubers did just arrive at your school and pulled you out of the janitor's closet." But then she looked serious. "May we ask your name?"

"Sierra." I manage to say. "Sierra Kinney."

Now they're all staring at me. Cupquake starts to speak. "Well, call us crazy, but we were actually supposed to come here to find you."

"Find me?" I ask. "Why the heck would you need to find me???"

"The thing is," Think started. "We were the chosen few out of like, bajillions of YouTubers to come and find you, because of why this sudden lockdown took place."

"You're just confusing me." I say. "Why did you need me?"

"Sierra," Alex says, "There are strange monsters on earth. Slenderman, Zombies, things like that."

"But what's weird is, they've only started appearing recently." Mike said. "We all recently had some sort of vision. In it, all of us, including you, had to go to this secret sort of base in the woods, and stop these characters from spawning, kinda like destroying a monster spawner in Minecraft."

"We don't entirely know why we had to be the YouTubers, much less why you had to help us." Wengie admitted. "I mean, we barely know each other."

"But we do know that it's up to us, and you, to save everyone from this apocalypse." Think finished.

I stand there, taking all of this in. I feel like I've pinched myself at least fifteen times to make sure I'm not dreaming.

"But...why me?" I ask. "What's so special about me that makes you guys think you need to bring me along?"

"Again, we don't know." Alex said. "We don't even know why we're the YouTubers chosen. The point is, we need you to help us get to the bottom of this sudden outbreak. Are you in?"

I stare at all of them. They're counting on me to say yes. The fate of humanity as we know it may depend on my answer. I don't know what to say. I want to say yes, but it almost seems too good to be true. But I don't want to let them down. I nod. They all smile at me.

We walk to the end of the hallway together. I wonder if this will be the last time I see these hallways. I hope I'm making the right choice. I think I trust them, I mean, Harry Potter followed a huge man who threatened his uncle with a pink umbrella and called him a wizard, and it was legit, right? We all take a deep breath. I look back at the school one final time...when Think pushes the door open and we walk out into the great unknown.