Chapter eight

By now we had to expect that if we knew that a horror antagonist was nearby, one of us, most likely me, was going to get either a) knocked out, b) badly hurt, or c) nearly killed. For some reason, horror game antagonists find more fun in hurting kids than they do grown-ups, so, yeah. Good to know.

It seemed as though we had been in this woods for a while now. Everywhere we looked, there were nothing but trees. I'm gonna be honest, I was scared. After encountering three antagonists, with two of the encounters almost resulting in death, I had no idea what could possibly be next.

I had to trust that we would get to the base, wherever it was, safely. We didn't even know where to turn, now. The compass was broken, Mike and I were the only two who had weapons, and we were all tired and hungry. We decided to just go in the direction that Monika spawned in. But now, we were so lost we didn't even remember how to get home.

I wondered for the first time if anyone would be looking for me. I wasn't in school, anymore. Could it be possible that the lockdown was still going on, after two days? The monsters were still out there, so I wouldn't be surprised if the lockdown was still going on.

We needed to come up with a way to defeat other monsters or antagonists if we were so unfortunate to encounter another. We had needed to be a bit smarter with Monika than we had to be with Baldi. I mean, it made sense, all Baldi does in his game is talk, give you stuff, and chase you with a ruler. Monika goes to the extremeties to hack the game, killing off characters, and guaranteeing that you must be with her...until you delete her. But that last bit's not too important. It made sense that we had to trick Monika, but not Baldi, because....can we be honest? Baldi's pretty stupid compared to Monika.

But we needed to be smart with other possible antagonists. Take the neighbor from Hello Neighbor, for example. He builds a lot, so I wouldn't doubt that he would be pretty smart. Now, it would depend on which act that we caught him at. If it was act four, which if I'm not wrong, was the final act, where the character is grown up and moved back to the neighborhood, I don't think it would be too tricky. We would just have to work our way through some dreams. But if we found him in act two, which I think is the one where the character has already been kidnapped and is living in the neighbor's basement, I think....you know what, it doesn't matter. You get it. It wouldn't be good. From what I've seen, we would have to make it through quite a few things to escape back into the woods.

There are antagonists that would be trickier than others. Granny and the neighbor, for example, would be harder than Mrs. Applegate or Asriel. I mean, with those two, we could just use the ruler or the pen. If we were to get taken like in the other two games, they most likely wouldn't let us keep our weapons.

But, enough of me explaining. That's what we were discussing.

And then there was also the chance of pretty much any antagonist out there. If there were horror game antagonists when there were supposed to be only supernatural monsters, how do we know that Voldemort or Joker weren't coming for us next???

Yeah, I know. It sounds stupid. But seriously, how would you react if you were in my situation? We have no idea what could be next; just going a day without encountering a monster or horror game antagonist would be an accomplishment.

And while we're on the subject, can I just ask: how does horror game logic work, anyways? Take five nights at Freddy's, for example, the security guard: Oh, I know that these animatronics have wanted to kill me before, but I'm gonna go back, even though I almost died. I mean, I know that if the player didn't go back, there wouldn't be much of a game, but seriously, is getting paid more important than staying alive? Maybe I'll ask Freddy and his friends if we encounter them...not.

It's quieter than quiet in these woods. It's so dark, but we don't dare to stop to rest; not after what happened the past few times we've tried to sleep. We go by the flashlights of our cell phones, continuing in the way Monika had spawned.

Suddenly, Cupquake just stops. We all notice and stop as well.

"Um, Cupquake?" Brizzy asks. "Why are you stopped? We could be close."

Cupquake points up to a tree. "There's something up there." She says. We all look to where she's pointing, and sure enough, there's a small red light.

"It could be something important." Mike said. "At least one of us has to go check it out."

"Someone smaller than the rest of us." Brizzy says. "Someone that's good at climbing trees."

"It should also probably be someone with a weapon." Alex says. "Just in case."

Of course, they all turn to me.