Chapter three

We eventually came to a woods, where Mike explained there seemed to be the most monsters and supernatural beings. We had no protection. All we had to rely on was some camping gear, food, water, and a few sweatshirts each. Taking a deep breath, I followed them into the woods.

As we walked deeper into what seemed like an infinite abyss of trees, I couldn't help but think of the song "into the woods." I was trying to be optimistic; I mean, in the musical, quite a few people come back out of the woods alive, right? I mean, some die, but still...then again, they didn't have to worry about slenderman and zombies; they only had to worry about giants, wolves, and witches. Which to be honest, sounded preferable at the time.

The only kind of communication with the others should we split up that I had was my phone, and even that had to be put on silent to not give away our location. Should we get separated and run for our lives away from a creature, I don't think we could feel our phones vibrate if one of us was to try and call one of the others. Plus, with every step we take further into the woods, we lose signal even more. I don't know if a phone call would work...but it's all we've got.

As we're walking, Alex told me about when this first started.

She herself had been at home making a video, when she heard a yelp from the other side of the house. Afraid, she cautiously walked to where the yelp had come from, and saw her dog, Laika, laying on the ground, her shoulder bloody from some sort of bite. She looked out the window at what looked like a snake, but then she saw it move. It had seven heads and a body as big as a lion. The hydra. It was swimming in a small pond. She blinked once, and then all she saw was a snake in its place, slithering away into the water. She also noticed some cameras on trees that she couldn't recall ever seeing before.

Laika seemed to be alive, but then, she just...turned into particles and was blown away by wind, like in Marvel: Infinity War. That's why she wanted to get to the bottom of this outbreak. She was convinced that whoever or whatever was controlling these monsters had Laika, and she wanted her back.

The other YouTubers had similar experiences and reasons, Think and Brizzy had their dogs, Kopi and Remus, taken by particles, Wengie had her boyfriend, Max, vanish, Cupquake's husband and Mike's wife particle-ized as well. They all had a reason to get to the bottom of this...and then there was me. I didn't have any reason other than possibly saving the world, and my family and friends. These people had a reason to fight, I was pretty much just along for the ride. They said that when they first met up when they were trying to find the missing people and pets, they all suddenly whited out and had a vision about all of them...and a girl. They were in some sort of room made of metal, and there was music that Alex, Think, Mike, and Cupquake recognized, but Wengie and Brizzy were just confused. It was the music of Five nights at Freddy's after the power goes out. They could hear the animatronics around them, but they were too afraid to move. Cupquake could see Bonnie behind Think, and prepared for a jump-scare, but then it was like all of the animatronics broke down, as they just fell and didn't move. They saw a small girl in a corner of the room, a keyboard in her hand, her finger on a button. She had saved them. She was me.

They didn't only bring me to save them, though. They knew that all of them were chosen to go on this journey for a reason, and believed the same for me.

It was very quiet. You could hear the dead fall leaves crunching under our feet.

I wondered what we should do should we encounter a monster...I mean, as I mentioned before, we have NO defense. So I can't see how we could even survive an attack from a mutant caterpillar....

We traveled on and on, up until the sun began to set. That was when we knew that we had to stop...we couldn't go any further.

We began to look for a place to sleep for the night. There was no way that there would be any hotels or anything this deep into the woods. We eventually settled for building a campfire to stay warm, and then each of us would find a tree or a clear patch of land to settle down in for the night. Only rule was, we couldn't be too far from at least one other person. Brizzy and I ended up choosing a tree and patch of land close to a small spring, with branches long and sturdy enough so that we would not only be held up successfully by the branches, but also hidden from monsters. Brizzy stayed on some of the lower branches, while I camped out up higher. We could see the places where the others were camping from up that high, so we could let them know if there was any trouble. Once we had an acceptable place to sleep, we both climbed down and joined the others for the fire. 

It was quiet as the sun set and the crickets began to chirp. We roasted hot dogs and ate silently, it was pretty much like an insanely awkward cookout. Everyone was looking around every few seconds, as if they were expecting a jump scare or something any second. They honestly looked kind of like children, looking around, afraid of what may be out there in the dark. I can't say I blame them; they've had a heck of a day.

As the fire began to die, we each went back to the spots we had chosen to camp. Brizzy and I retreated back to the tree.

Climbing up into the strong branches, I carefully sat on one of the branches, leaning against another one for support and using my backpack as a sort of pillow. As uncomfortable as it may seem, I did manage to fall asleep. I trusted the tree to hide us until morning, when we would begin to make our way through the forest again. Assured that I was safe for now, I closed my eyes and let my dreams take me away.

But, I was wrong about being safe. I was dead wrong.