Chapter ten

We didn't have time to think about the clue, though. We had another problem at hand. Granny.

Knowing that there was only one way to get that door unlocked, I took a deep breath...and pushed the table over.

The vase made a loud noise when it collided with the floor. I looked back to Think and Brizzy. Think's eyes grew wide. He grabbed Brizzy by the wrist, and darted under the bed. I hid in the wardrobe, watching through the holes. Granny came into the room. That's when I finally got a good look at her.

She was wearing her usual white dress, her arms thin and bony. Her mouth was open, her teeth more yellow than white and her gums red. Small patches of hair were all around the back of her head. Her eyes were two small circles of white surrounded by red. Other than that, she was perfectly normal...

She came in and looked around, left...then right....then left again. Then she turned around and left the room...but not before placing a bear trap in the middle of the stinking doorway.

We all let ourselves breathe, and as I came out of the wardrobe, Think and Brizzy crawled back out from under the bed.

"Okay, so... I've never played Granny before, or seen anyone play it." Brizzy admitted. "What's the object of the game, and what do we have to look out for?"

I look at Think and he looks back at me. This is difficult to explain.

"Well," I start. "Let's start with the rules. One," I look her straight in the eye. "Get out of the house. It's the whole object of the game. We need to escape Granny's house if we want to get back to the others alive."

"That includes leaving within five days." Think says. "We don't know how long each day is. The game puts it as each time you wake up from being knocked out. So each time we wake up is one day. If we get knocked out by Granny and wake up again soon, that will be on the second day."

"I'm afraid to ask," Brizzy says. "But...what happens if we can't get out within five days?"

Think and I look at each other again, before we both take our right pointer finger and draw an invisible line across our necks, making gagging noises. Brizzy puts her hands to her mouth in shock. She's scared.

"One more rule." I say. "Be quiet."

"And don't let her see you." Think adds. "She hears everything, and Granny's crazy."

"Plus, if you risk her hearing you, that's more of a risk of getting hit with a bat."

"If she sees you, even if you hide, if she sees you hide, it's an automatic hit to the head." Think finishes. We all look at the door. We have absolutely no idea if we'll even get out of this house alive. But we have to try.

Think goes first, then me, then Brizzy. I do feel a bit reassured since Think's here. I've seen him play Granny a lot. If anyone can get us out of here alive, it's him.

"So," I whisper as quietly as I possibly can. "How are we getting out? The door? Or the car?"

"I'm thinking the car." Think said. "It usually doesn't take as long as unlocking the door would."

I nod, and we go down to the garage, pushing boxes out of the way and crouching to a crawl to get through the small passage. Finally, we make it to the car. Think and I pull the door to look in the glove box while Brizzy opens the hood to look for anything in there. I can't remember anything ever being inside the hood in the actual game, but hey, this is real life. We need to search anywhere that an object could be.

At least in real life, we don't have to worry about anything making noise, because we're not just dropping it. If we need to pick up more than one thing, we have two hands, and there are three of us. It's way easier when it's three against one. We can cover more ground to find stuff. But we're also at a disadvantage. Where there are three of us, that sort of makes it a bit easier for Granny to find at least one of us.

When we finally open the playhouse, we're lucky enough to find the weapons key in the little compartment. So, while Brizzy goes back to the garage and puts together the shotgun, Think and I grab and load the crossbow. We've just about gotten the tranquilliser dart loaded into the bow when we hear a scream!!!! We both freeze and whip around in the direction where we heard the sound come from. Down the stairs. Through the passage. In the garage.

Brizzy.