Chapter nine

With help from Mike and Think boosting me up, I climb up into the tree, memories of the first night I spent in this woods in that tree with Brizzy sending shivers down my spine.

I climbed up higher into the tree, to where we saw the light, until I saw it. I carefully climbed over to the branch it was sitting on. It was a camera, one that looked similar to my video camera at home. It was sitting on a branch, a wire running from the camera through some branches and out of sight. I looked back down at the YouTubers.

"Any luck? What is it?" Mike called up to me.

"It's a camera." I called back. "There's a wire connecting it to something. I can't see where it leads. I think we should follow it. Maybe it will lead us to the base."

Mike looked to where I was pointing. He saw the wire by my flashlight.

"I dunno, Sierra. That's quite a ways off the path from the way we were going."

"But," Wengie thought aloud. "If we could follow the wire and it would lead us to the base, that would be easier than guessing. This could be the right way. Monika could have been trying to send us in the wrong direction."

"But if it is the wrong way, it could set us back quite a bit...it's really risky." Brizzy said.

"But...is it a risk we're willing to take?" Alex asked. "The people and pets could be being tortured for all that we know." They all seemed to stop and think at that. This could be the difference in saving them or letting them die. Saving the world or letting it be taken over. I wait for their answer. Then, I hear a rustling behind me. Oh no. There can't be a monster or something here. Not in a tree. Not now. My heart is pounding. The YouTubers are still arguing; they don't notice that I haven't spoken for a while. I hope that they would notice if I fell out of the tree. As slowly as I possibly can, I turn around. The first thing I notice is a baseball bat. When I continue turning around, I see thin, bony arms, and a long, sleeveless white dress. I meet Granny, face to face.

I'm so scared. I can't go anywhere this time. If I tried to run, I would fall. I'm at the edge of the tree. One step back and I would careen towards the ground. But I don't think Granny really cares. She lifts her bat. I have no way to dodge it. A blow straight to the head. I let out a scream. All the YouTubers look up. I drop the ruler. Then, I step backwards. All I hear is my name being screamed from the YouTubers. I lose consciousness even before I hit the ground.

I wake up in an old bed. It's gray, and pretty small. The room I'm in is old, browns and grays surrounding me. The room is completely devoid of color. I look to my right, seeing two other beds lined up on the walls. They're occupied by Think and Brizzy. I try to remember what happened, when all the memories come flooding back.

Think starts to come to. He's moaning, and then he sits up, rubbing his head. Brizzy wakes up soon after.

The room is completely silent. Well, while we're waiting for Granny to find us, I might as well figure out how they got captured as well.

"What...happened?" I whisper. "How did we get here?"

"Shortly after we began to argue about whether to follow the wire or not, we heard a scream." Think explained. "We looked up just in time to see you falling from the tree."

"You certainly do have a way of being the main target for these people." Brizzy joked, but then allowed Think to continue.

"Luckily, Mike and I were still at the base of the tree, so we were able to catch you before you hit the ground."

"Granny jumped down shortly after." Brizzy added, then continued with, "it turned into chaos. Alex and Wengie were trying to help Mike revive you, Cupquake was trying to get rid of Granny with the ruler, since you dropped it, and Think and I just straight up tried to attack her. At one point, Think had his hands on her bat, but she wouldn't let go."

Think began rubbing his head again, wincing a bit in pain. "Eventually, she snatched it away from me, hitting me in the head with it."

"I got down on my knees to try to help him, but the second I got down, she hit me as well. The last thing I remember seeing or hearing is the look on the others' faces. I saw you glitching a bit, like Monika had been, when all of a sudden, you just vanished into thin air. Think did, too. Then I lost consciousness when everyone was screaming."

"The glitching would explain how we got here." I said. "There was no way Granny could have hauled all of us here if the YouTubers had anything to say about it. But..." I think aloud. "if Cupquake tried to use the ruler against Granny, why didn't it work?" I ask.

"I don't know." Think admitted. "It worked for Mike."

"Maybe..." Brizzy thought aloud. "Monika was who Mike defeated. What if we each have to be the one to defeat a monster? What if Granny wasn't Cupquake's monster to defeat? It would make sense as to why she couldn't defeat Granny."

I thought about that, then I thought back to the message on the pen.

Each medal is specific. Seven are required to save the souls.

Medals...could they mean the things that we get once we defeat the horror game antagonists? Baldi's ruler? Monika's pen? The way that they glowed...could that be what the message meant? That we needed to collect seven medals from monsters...in order to save the missing people and pets?