Prolouge - The Battle Of New York

"So, tell us kiddo. Your birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks. Where would you like to go?" My Dad asks, holding my hand as we walk through the streets of New York.

It's a bright sunny day today, the sun warming up my caramel skin. My Mom is currently finishing up a few errands that needed to be urgently done on this Saturday, so Dad and I decided to tag along. Once she is done, then we will all to go to Central Park. It's a tradition we do once a month.

My family and I are pretty close, it's just the three of us. Well, for now anyway. Mom is about seven months pregnant with my little brother. My dad is incredibly tall, one of the tallest men I have ever met in my life. He is from Austin, Texas, while my mother grew up in North Bergen, New Jersey with her immigrant Cuban parents. They both met while going to NYU, falling in love pretty instantly.

I think about my father's question, knowing it is an important one. Birthdays are really special to us, something we don't take lightly. Each family member gets to chose where we go for the day, where we eat and what we do. My Dad took us to a baseball game for his birthday this year, while Mom took us to a broadway show. So yeah, it's a pretty big deal.

I think for a moment before an idea hits me, "Can we go to the Stark Industry tour?"

A smile spreads across my Dad's lips as he nods his head. I love technology and science, and everything that comes along with it. My idol is none other than Iron Man himself, Tony Stark. I've loved him since I was little.

Finishing our lap of the streets, we come to a stop outside of Mom's small law firm. She is a public defender, so she is busy a lot of the time. But that's okay, cause even though she's so busy, I get to spend time with my Dad. And when she gets home, she always makes sure she puts time aside for the three of us.

The door opens up and my Mom steps out, locking up behind her. She turns and smiles brightly at us, "You ready to go?"

I nod my head enthusiastically, to which she smiles and walks over, taking my other hand. Kids at school always make fun of me for holding hands with my parents even though I'm about to turn ten years old, but I don't care. I love them and that's all that matters.

We begin to walk down the street as Dad turns to Mom, "So, guess where Lexi wants to go for her birthday?"

"Where?" Mom asks, smiling down at me and I begin to jump up and down with excitement, "The Stark Industry tour!"

"Why doesn't that surprise me?" She smirks and I begin to gush like I always do when I begin to talk about my passion for science, "Mr Stark is the world's coolest man. Well, besides you Dad."

"Thanks for the confidence boost, kiddo." Dad chuckles, bumping my shoulder with his hip. I laugh as we weave through the people, continuing on my spiel, "One day I want to be a superhero like him. I want to use my brain to come up with technology that can help people."

"Well, I know that if you put your mind to it honey, you can do incredible things." My Mom states and Dad nods his head, "You bet you can, Lexi."

My smile spreads across my cheeks as I smile up at them, loving them with my whole heart. But my eyes drift past my father's head as I see a shadow appear in the sky and the sound of people screaming and running around us. My father and mother grip my hands tightly as we look around, wondering what the hell is going on.