38. Late

Tyler sat at the booth, his hands folded on top of the table. He lifted them and saw the table was damp underneath them from how sweaty his palms were. He was nervous.

Okay, nervous was an understatement.

He felt like he was going to piss himself.

He was nervous about Josh not showing up but he was also nervous about him showing up. He didn't know how the hell Josh was going to react. Oh, God what if he slapped him? Tyler would deserve it but he already knew if that happened he would just burst into tears.

He looked over at Josie worriedly. She was giving drinks to another table but saw Tyler and gave him a reassuring smile.

That didn't help at all.

Tyler looked over at the notecards he brought. Yes, he brought notecards. He wanted to make sure he didn't fuck this up if Josh did decide to come.

He was so grateful Hayley let him drop everything off. She had told him to hurry up and set everything down before Josh got there. Honestly, he was just lucky he woke up early enough to get there before him.

It didn't take away the fact that Hayley called him an asshole and threatened to file a restraining order on him if he showed up at Primgold Headquarters unwarranted again, but he still got done what he needed to get done so it didn't matter.

As soon as Josie finished taking their order and running it to the cook, she slid into the other side of the booth and propped her head in her hands. "How are you feeling, honey?"

"Scared," Tyler replied honestly, scratching his arm. "Really fucking scared."

"Well its only," she pressed the home button on his phone to see the time. "7:40. And after I get that family their food I'm taking my break so I can come bother you for 15 minutes."

Tyler smiled. "Okay, thanks."

Josie smiled back. "Of course. Hey," she said, gaining Tyler's attention. "I'm proud of you. For trying to change. And trying to fix things. What you did was still awful but it already happened and all you can do is move on. I'm proud you're trying to make things better instead of just sucking off the next guy you see."

"Did you know Josh pictured us having a future together?" Tyler said in a low voice, his throat tightening. He swallowed to try and make the rough, constricting feeling go away. "I know we dated for a little over a month and have only known each other like two months but I can't imagine myself with any one else," he sniffled.

He looked up at the ceiling when he felt tears prick his eyes. He had put on mascara so he could feel better about himself on the outside since he felt shitty about himself on the inside and he didn't want his makeup to run.

Josie grabbed his hand. "Show him that then. Try to win him back. But if he doesn't want to be with you again you can't be at him for that."

"I know," Tyler croaked. "I know."

Josie was about to say something else when the sound of a bell dinging and her name being called was heard. "I'll be back soon."

Tyler watched her walk off. He pressed the time on his phone again. 7:45. 15 minutes until Josh got there. Or not.

He watched Josie take the food to the table she was waiting before coming back over to Tyler. She took her apron off and threw it on the booth before sliding in. She reached over and grabbed Tyler's Coke, taking a sip through the straw. "What? Work Josie is different than Break Josie you know this."

Tyler couldn't help but smile at her. "Thanks for not leaving me. Even though you should have a long time ago."

"If I left I wouldn't be stealing Coke from you right now would I?" She teased.

Tyler laughed slightly. He was lucky he hadn't fucked things up with Josie and even though him and Brendon fought, the older still wanted Tyler in his life. All he had to do was make sure he didn't lose Josh again and he had the three most important people in his life.

Josie hung around Tyler for the rest of her break and finally at eight she had to get back to work. Eight was when Josh was supposed to be there.

Tyler didn't worry about it though. Maybe he was just running a few minutes behind. He was coming, wasn't he?

He picked up his phone and saw a text from Brendon.

Brendon
Is he there yet?

Tyler
No :(

Brendon
Good luck bud

Tyler
Thanks

Tyler
If this goes bad will you paint my nails for me while I cry into my pillow

Brendon
Sure

Tyler
Knew I could count on you (:

Tyler
Unless that's me being selfish again then never mind don't do that

Brendon
Dude if you're crying I'll paint your nails for you it's fine you don't have to do everything yourself

Tyler
I love you

Brendon
I love you too you dumbass

Tyler smiled and set his phone back down. However, he didn't fail to see the time was now 8:10 and his smile instantly turned into a frown... maybe Josh wasn't coming.

He sighed and folded his hands together again, twiddling his thumbs anxiously.

Josie looked over at the clock on the wall before looking at Tyler with a sad look on her face.

She didn't think he was coming either.

He sat there a little while longer, staring off into space or running through his note cards. He didn't want to get on his phone or anything and then miss something happening.

Although, 8:35 rolled around and nothing had happened.

Josie walked over to him with his fourth Coke refill in hand, setting it down and sighing. "I don't think he's coming, babe," she told him sadly. "I'm so sorry."

Tyler felt tears prick his eyes again. "Me too."

"You tried though."

"Yeah," he replied quietly, standing up and grabbing his things. "I guess I'll stop loitering now. I'll see you."

He began to walk towards the door but froze when it opened, the bell ringing.

Tyler's heart stopped when he saw who had entered.

"Hi," Josh breathed out, looking at him nervously.