8. Date

Josh pulled into the parking lot of the apartment complex Tyler lived in. It was very, very tall and he had told Josh to ride the elevator up to floor eight and knock on door 110.

The man did just as he was told and entered the building before making his way to the elevator. While he waited for it to arrive, he surveyed his surroundings. The apartment complex was very musty and worn down and there were stains and cracks almost everywhere. Josh scoffed to himself. Yeah, Tyler sure does have high standards.

Josh also did what Tyler had told him to do previously and went ahead and reserved them a table at the fanciest restaurant in Columbus. Josh frequented the place so he didn't have a hard time getting them a table last minute but it also didn't mean he didn't have to pay extra for it.

The doors creaked open and Josh debates actually entering this possible death machine before the doors began to close and he slipped into the lift just in time and pressed the button to the floor he needed.

As it brought him higher up in the building, Josh let his thoughts wander. He honestly had no idea what he was doing. Sure, he had taken girls out on dates before. Sure, he's had long term girlfriends before. But this wasn't a girl. This was a guy. He didn't know how to act.

Josh felt his palms start to perspire and he wiped them lightly on the pants belonging to one of his many suits. It was black so if there was a small stain, it wasn't visible.

After what seemed hauntingly forever, the elevator doors dinged and opened onto floor eight. Josh scanned the left side of the hallway as he walked since that was the side with the even apartments and the one he needed was the third one from down the line.

He took a deep breath as he approached the door. He didn't know why he was nervous. Maybe because if he actually enjoyed himself it could mean he was into guys and that was a nerve-wracking thought in itself.

Josh pressed the doorbell and shoved his hands in the pockets of his pants, rocking back and forth slightly as he waited.

The blonde stood there for a few moments before the door opened. His eyes widened when he saw Tyler standing there in a fitted red suit jacket. Definitely bold but he pulled it off. Josh would admit he looked good too. "Hey," Josh gave him a half hearted smile.

Tyler's own eyes scanned the blonde up and down. Josh didn't really know why. He was wearing a simple black suit with a dark grey shirt and tie underneath. It wasn't anything special. He left his apartment and shut the door behind him before standing by Josh. He stared for a moment before speaking. "Well? Are we leaving?" He asked, batting his eyelashes.

The smile that was on Josh's face grew the tiniest bit. He didn't want to give Tyler the satisfaction of knowing he was getting to him though so he remained quiet.

Instead, Josh stuck his arm out and Tyler's lip curled into a smile as well as he grabbed it and they headed towards the elevator.

Josh was hoping things went well tonight.

---

Josh pulled up the the front of the restaurant before getting out. He jogged over to Tyler's side and opened the door for him. He had done it earlier at the brunette's apartment and it made him giggle so Josh made sure to do it again. That damn giggle was music to his ears.

A man approached him and Josh knew he was collecting his car for valet parking so the man handed the keys to his Tesla over before leading Tyler inside.

Josh approached the hostess and she smiled. "Mr. Dun," she nodded. "You have a reservation for one?"

"Two actually," he corrected.

The blonde he was speaking to looked up from her tablet in confusion before she saw Tyler standing next to Josh, his hands in his pockets as he looked off to the side innocently. The light was hitting him just right and Josh couldn't help but think how he resembled an angel. "Oh. Is this a colleague?" She asked cautiously.

Tyler then turned his head and a charming smile made its way on his face. Josh would be lying if he hadn't thought it was at least a little cute. "I'm his date."

An appalled look overcame the woman's face. "A romantic date?"

That's when Josh realized. He was a man. Tyler was a man. That wasn't normal. Especially not in the business world. That was an absolute no-no.

"No, actually," he spoke. "He's my date for a charity event I have coming up. He offered to tag along with me in exchange for dinner. Nothing romantic," he assured, hoping she couldn't sense his lie.

Her face visibly relaxed and she nodded before pressing a few things into the tablet. "Follow me," she began walking towards the dining area.

"What was that?" Tyler whispered in an hurt voice as they trailed behind the hostess.

"This place is upper-class and rich and apparently homophobic. I'm sorry," he said sincerely. This Tyler was different than the one on the phone or at the bar. He wasn't jumping all over Josh and he wasn't making sexual comments. It was a nice change of pace, actually. "I didn't know. You said somewhere fancy and I know the food here is good so I figured it would be fine."

Tyler just nodded as they sat down. "Someone will be with you in one moment," the hostess informed before walking off.

"So," Tyler spoke, a small smile on his face. "Is this the part where we ask each other boring questions?"

Josh laughed. "I think so. I told you before I haven't gotten laid in awhile let alone been on a date."

"I'll show you the ropes," Tyler winked and picked up his menu. Josh felt himself blush and he was glad they were in a darker part of the restaurant.

A moment later their waiter did in fact come over to them, notepad in hand. "Good evening. What can I get you two to drink? There's a wine section located on the back of your menu."

Josh instantly spoke. "I'll just have a water, please."

The man nodded, not writing it down. Josh figured it was because water was easy to remember. Tyler looked at the menu and the blonde realized he was looking at wine. He looked at the waiter and pointed to the one halfway down the list. "I'll take this white wine. I can't pronounce it," he giggled making Josh's heart melt.

It was in that moment he realized if he wasn't into guys, he was still definitely into Tyler. Or at least willing to see how the night progressed and if it went better than their conversation in the bar he'd be willing to peruse things.

The waiter raised an eyebrow. "Can I see some identification?"

Tyler pulled a wallet from his pocket and fished out a driver's license before handing it over to their waiter. As he grabbed it, Josh's eyes caught the date of birth: 1997. He was 21. That's when Josh had his third biggest realization of the night.

They were 11 years apart in age.

He tried not to let his discomfort show as Tyler was given his ID back but 11 was a lot in Josh's opinion. When he was starting middle school Tyler wasn't even born yet.

"I'll be right back," their waiter said before walking off.

Josh looked over and locked eyes with Tyler. "Are you alright?" He asked, pulling his bottom lip between his teeth worriedly.

Maybe age wasn't an issue when he was doing stuff like that. "Yeah," Josh assured. "I'm fine."

Truth was, he could let that go if he had to. But like he thought before, he was going to see how the night played out before making any decisions.