Chapter 7: My Real First Day of School

It looks familiar. I tried to remember where I saw this place and I remembered the bus driver who brought me to this place. It was where I met Persephone.

"I was here yesterday. The bus driver stopped here when he correctly guessed that I haven't ate breakfast yet."

"Well, that's great. I love their coffee here. Have you met Talia already? She's like the best cashier this cafe has."

"Yeah. She introduced herself when I was about to order."

"Well, that's great. She's a friend of mine. You and Talia are batchmates I guess. She's 17 and you're 17 right?"

"Uh, no. Uhm, maybe." She giggled at my answer. "Yes, I'm 17."

"You're funny. That's one of the reasons I like you as my best friend."

•••••

I'm at school already. I was in my locker to get my morning stuff when an innocent looking girl approached me with a shy smile plastered onto her pale face.

"Are you Cassandra?"

"I reckon I am." I said with a catatonic expression written all over my face.

"Oh. Can I join you? You're my classmate for this school year and I thought maybe I can join you with your first day."

"Whatever."

"Okay so I haven't introduced myself. So silly of me. I'm Rosemary Carter. I have a brother in varsity. His name is Zechariah Carter." She talked and talked and talked. I paid no attention until we reached our classroom.

When we entered everybody went silent and they looked at us(especially me) with curiousity etched on their faces but later on they went back with their business. I sat down at the back near the window not wanting to talk to anyone but was suddenly flabbergasted when someone sat beside me. The devil had buried his face in his desk so I just got out the book I was reading yesterday.

After a few minutes, I looked at my watch and I noticed that it is already 8:30. The bell for frist period has rang 30 minutes ago but our teacher hasn't arrived yet. I went back to read my book when I heard the click of heels entering our classroom. I then saw the girl who blocked me yesterday at the library. What a small world. She even has her cronies with her. She looked at me with disgust and I just looked at her. Our staring contest was cut when our teacher went in and started Math.

It was Math for first period. How lucky am I? I really hate math I mean what's the point of those numbers and those operations when I'm not gonna use them in college but whatever. Speaking of college I haven't chosen a university that I think I would like.

I was snapped away from my thoughts when I heard someone say my name. Here it is. An annoyed teacher in front of me.

"Miss? I have been calling you for three times already. Now since you're new here. Might as well say your name. Go at the front and tell us things about you." I stood up and faced some of my classmates' boring faces with stoicness appearing from my face.

"Cassandra Frost. From Everlast High. 17 and loves books." I told them with an impassive voice. I went back to my seat as they all stared at me with confused faces. Whatever.

"Okay so now that we already have our discussion about this. We will have a short quiz tomorrow. Study pages 3-10. That would be all for now I will be dismissing all of you early." She then went outside as the clackity-clack of her heels began to fade.

I closed my big black binder and stood up to put this in my backpack. I put it in my left shoulder and began to leave the room when someone grabbed me by the shoulder. I looked at the person with a stolid face.