Chapter 15: Buddy Poly

I sipped my tea and slowly ate my lasagna. Enjoying each bite I take. Dhale is sitting across me. Not talking and not giving me a glance. He just ate his burger and sipped his cappuccino. Moving his eyes back and forth as if studying the place.

"Hey, Dhale. What's with that look? You haven't been in here?" He shook his head still not giving me a glance. "Well, how is your cappuccino?" I said trying to initiate a conversation.

"It's great. I love the burger, too. The tomato, cabbage, and onion were fresh. The steak was cooked perfectly. Not overcooked nor undercooked. Just normal. The patties were also perfectly cooked. My cappuccino was amazing. All in all, it's really great." I chuckled. He looked at me with question.

"Looks like someone's gonna be a future chef." I looked away and once again took a sip from my tea. I saw him look at me smirking in my peripheral vision.

"I want to be a chef." I looked at him and he was serious. No smile, no pout, no anything. Just a straight line in his lips.

"I don't know what I want to be when I grow up."

"And why is that?"

"I don't know. Maybe you'll see me work at a cafe or something." I joked.

"I know you won't be a barista or cashier. Pretty sure you're gonna be a businesswoman. Following the footsteps of your parents."

"You guessed it."

"I knew it all along. After we've accomplished a lot of things in life, after graduating and getting jobs, I hope we'll meet again."

"I'm sure we will." He just smiled at me. "Let's just finish this so that we can be on time for our afternoon classes."

"Oh no we won't be able to catch up with-" My phone suddenly rang cutting him off. "You might as well answer that." I nodded, looked at my phone, and there displayed an unknown number.

"I'll be right back." I went to the washroom and answered the call. 

"Hello? Who is this? How did you get my number?"

(Whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow down, Buttercup.)

"Poly? How did you get my number?"

(I have my ways, Cassie.)

"Ways your face. I never gave my number to anyone. Except maybe for your sister. But that number was from my other phone so that means... You got my phone while we were having class. You sneaky guy."

(Oh, I didn't know you'd know that. By the way, you got a nice wallpaper there.)

"Shut up. I'll change it."

(You really look pretty in a dress. It suits you but I like you more with jeans.)

"You haven't seen me in jeans."

(Just so you know, I'm a regular customer of Light Cup. I'm here right now. I got out of school.)

"What? How?"

(You are with Heyerdhal right now and it's quite shocking that you're calling him by his nickname. You look comfortable with him.)

"Excuse me? Are you my stalker?"

(It's just a coincidence, Cassie. It's not like I'm following you everywhere. I'm not an idiot.)

"You are an idiot if you jumped out of those thick and tall walls in the back part of the school."

(Well, I just did that.)

"I'm ending the call."

(End it if you want.)

"Cassie? Are you alright? What took you so long?" Dhale knocked at the washroom door.

"Dhale, I'll be right out." I answered and ended the call. I went outside the washroom and found Dhale looking at me with concern. "No need to worry, I'm alright. As if I'll be abducted by something or whatsoever."

"I'm your brother. I would be worried."

"My parents' blood doesn't run in yours but we could be siblings with different parents."

"We could be that."

"I'll be right back, Dhale. I need to check on something."

"Will you not finish your tea and lasagna?"

"Okay, maybe I'll check on it later." We returned to our table and I quickly finished my meal not caring whether I look funny.

"Slow down, Cassie. Is it really important? The thing you're gonna check?"

"Yeah, it is." I wiped my mouth with a white napkin and stood up. "I will be right back, brother." He nodded and continued sipping his cappuccino.

I went towards a hidden corner and saw that he is sitting there. I rolled my eyes.

He is so predictable. Tch.

"You know what? I could've mistaken you for a fortune teller." Poly said, staring at me with a playful smirk in his face.

"I don't look like a fortune teller nor do I act like one. I just have right guesses." I sat across him and we stared at each other.

"If you say so, how's Dhale out there. He seems to be smiling." I looked away.

"I don't know. Why are you so nosy? Why do you even care? We're not even friends or something." He held both my hands in the table and I immediately took them away.

"We're getting there, Buttercup." I rolled my eyes.

"What's with Buttercup? You keep calling me that. You watch Power Puff Girls?" His eyes widened and tried to act normal but can't.

"No. Yes. Maybe. I don't know. My sister watches it before and I thought Buttercup was cool so I'm calling you Buttercup." He scratched the back of his neck to try to hide the embarrassment.

"Are you gay?" He muttered something under his breath which I didn't quite hear. "What did you say?"

"Nothing. Do you like some drink or something?" I shook my head.

"I just ate and drank." I said but he widened his eyes. "Drank a tea. Didn't you notice the cup?" I rolled my eyes.

"I did but I thought that was for Heyerdhal."

"You thought that Heyerdhal bought two cups of entirely different drinks. Are you even thinking?"

"I am thinking, alright? Fine I was wrong." He said as I smirked with victory.

"Glad you know, buddy." I patted his back. "Anyways, I need to go now, bud." I was about to stand up to go back to the table Heyerdhal and I occupied.

"Wait." I turned around but then...

************