Chapter 31: You're Not My Twin

Start from the beginning

God. Oh, God.

How could she do that? Why did she do that? There's so many other ways to get help. And Asher, the stranger who has the face of my brother, proved to be more dangerous and threatening than I've ever imagined. Goes to show how little I truly know about the ones I love, makes me wonder if Alice's secret is as eye-opening, and not in the good way.

"The girl jumped off this bridge and into the river? Let's go get a rescue team to search the water," A deep voice ordered, becoming mumbled as I felt my eyes droop shut without a say in the matter.

The siren blaring and the lights flashing blurred in the background, all sound seemed to quiet down, as if there was a knob for life being twisted around to lower the volume. And pretty soon, only one dysfunctional voice reached my ears before little black dots faded my sight black.

"Sadly, that isn't necessary, the girl landed on the rocks."

***

(Hours Earlier)

I stood in front of a two story brick building that was red, it was clear each year that passed left the bricks to do nothing but fade into a washed up red and crack apart. This building definitely had years on me and it did not age well, it appeared to be worn down by years of neglect and improper care.

I couldn't examine the building completely because of the lack of headlights shining, that was the only source of light around this isolated spot in the woods. There was more than a dozen cars parked and doubled the amount of people loitering around. Many of these individuals were leaning on the hoods of their cars, a cigarette or joint lit between their fingers, the tip glowing orange as they smoked.

I pried my attention off the beady-eyed people staring me down, deciding to settle my sight strictly upon Ricky's back as I trailed him. It felt as if one regular step for him was two long steps for me, or maybe he was just putting extra speed in walking because of how much I offended him. I didn't blame him at all. I too would be incredibly offended if someone thought the worst of me when I only had good intentions.

"Damn, shorty, come wrap those legs around me," a raspy voice crudely flirted, so I briskly walked pass the chunky guy.

Ricky said not to wander off and I definitely did not want to. At least I could trust him not to assault me, sexually of course. But did the perverted eyes on these grown men send me the same message? Nope.

A gust of chilly wind caressed the bare skin on my legs and swept up my skirt, not enough to flash anyone but enough to leave someone with a very imaginative mind to stir up lustful fantasies. I spared no time in pushing my navy skirt back into place and shielding away skin that didn't need to be expose.

A prolonged wolf whistle of interest broke out into the eerie night, my heart speed immediately went up at the unwanted attention that sought me out. Once again, I pushed my legs to work faster, hoping to avoid it all. That was until the end of my skirt was tugged, making me go into the direction I was pulled to, just so my skirt wouldn't go down.

I gasped as the person's frosty fingers skimmed over the back of my thigh, making my eyes fling out from their sockets in shock at such a bold move. When I was able to face the individual, I locked my sight upon the person's pitch-black eyes with voluminous lashes that seemed like they were salon made, and their slim long nose filled with freckles, and their full lips painted a blood red.

"Aren't you just the cutest thing I've ever seen around here," an older woman smirked, letting her hand drop from me. "Isn't that right, Devin?"

That's when I realized an arm draped over her shoulders, following that arm, I was met with a middle-aged white man that looked about her age. He had on a puffy blue jacket, blue ripped jeans that were covered in dirt, and boots that were scratched up.