LIV

"I'm perfectly fine Phoenix," Calamity defended.

"You've been acting strange all morning. I found you hiding in a tree this morning. Coincidentally, Leopold had been looking for you at the same time," Phoenix provided more evidence for his thesis. "Why are you hiding from your mate?"

Calamity puffed out a breath. "Things got... intimate last night. I almost broke my vow. Sable interrupted us, but if he hadn't, I could have cost us the entire war. You know that a demon is most powerful when she's a virgin."

Phoenix assessed her critically. "So are you afraid that he's going to try to continue, or are you afraid that you'll want to?"

Calamity stared out at the field where she saw Leopold scanning the area for her. "I already know that he wants it. He has for a long time. He hasn't ever tried to force me into anything or even really try to convince me to mate. He only ever makes innuendos, but after last night, he might expect more. So I guess the answer is both. I'm terrified that I might not try to resist."

Phoenix turned his body to Calamity completely. "Then how about we spar. You can relieve some of your sexual frustration by getting physical in another way." He paused for a second before chuckling. "I think you should know how weird it is for you to talk to your older brother about this."

Calamity thought for a second, a small smile gracing her face. "I suppose you're right." Her mouth morphed into a smirk. "But you did ask."

He smiled at his sister's snarkiness. "Let's do this. I'll go easy on you, since you're still recovering. I don't want to anger the wolf."

She scoffed. "Please don't."

So he didn't. He lunged almost catching her by surprise, but she dodged and kicked the back of his knees at the last second. She put him in a headlock, only for him to buck her over his shoulder.

Her back slammed on the ground. She let her guard down just long enough for Leo to feel the momentary pain. He knew that she was training despite his explicit directions to relax all day. He growled lowly. Calamity didn't have a clue that he had caught on. They were at least a mile away with many wolves and humans between them.

Leopold raised his nose to the air, searching for her scent among the variety in front of him. He was not happy that she was putting her health at risk, again.

Phoenix tried to body slam Calamity, but she used her legs to propel him a few yards away. She rolled along her spine and launched herself back onto her feet with her hands.

She watched him rise, amused. They charged at each other. Onlookers stopped and gaped at the blur of clashing limbs. Neither demon noticed the growing crowd watching their incessant attacks.

With the amount if attention they received, it didn't take long for Leopold to figure out where Calamity was. He stormed toward the crowd. The horde divided immediately when they sensed who he was, flinching at the anger radiating from the large beast of a man.

Phoenix paused as soon as he noticed the alpha. Calamity took that as her chance to punch him in the stomach. She whipped her leg around to kick the intruder of her fight only for her calf to get stuck in the grasp of a wolf.

Calamity paled when she realized it was Leo. She blushed when she saw him eyeing the leg in his hold with something akin to hunger. "Okay, this is getting uncomfortable," she said when he still didn't let go.

Leo opened his fist reluctantly, watching her leg drop hard like it weighed fifty pounds. He openly stared as she rubbed her hip where she felt like her leg almost pulled from the socket.

"Why were you fighting when you're still recovering?" He asked in a sickeningly sweet voice. He was not happy.

Calamity pursed her lips. "I need to train, and a little energy loss isn't going to stop me. Besides, I've regained most of my power. I can stand without help. I held my own against a royal demon. I am perfectly fine."

Leopold grabbed the bottom of her shirt and lifted to reveal a black and blue splotch just beside her belly button. "This would have healed already if you were fine."

She yanked her shirt back down, not appreciating the manhandling. "My healing just isn't up to par yet. Get over it Leo. I will do as I please. You do not have the authority to tell me what to do. Stop wasting my time with your attempts at control." She stomped away hastily from the man who reminded her of her father for a second.

~~~

"A ring?" The old woman asked cheekily. "Do you have a particular woman in mind?" She inquired.

Leopold smiled politely at the jewelry seller. "Yes. I've been meaning to pop the question for a while now, but I wanted a ring first."

"What style would you like?" She asked.

"Um..." Leopold had no clue what Calamity would like. He had never seen her wear jewelry. Would she even want a ring? What if she said no? "I'm not sure," he admitted.

The woman smiled in understanding. She saw this all the time. "What is she like?"

His face lit up. "She is beautiful, but modest. She is strong, yet oddly fragile. She is the most compassionate person I have ever known, but she tries to hide it under a cold façade. Her hair is darker than the sky on a moonless night, and her eyes are the shade of bleeding scarlet."

The woman grinned at his excitement of talking about his beloved. She would be a happy woman with such a loving man. "I believe I can work with that." She clicked her tongue against the roof of her mouth repeatedly as she searched for a particular ring that she had possessed for quite a long time. "Aha! I found it." She brought a small jewelry box out in front of Leo. "How does this look?" She opened the lid for Leo to inspect.

It was perfect. The metal of the ring was a dark onyx, the center stone a blazing ruby. Diamonds dotted around the entirety of the ring's exterior. It was thin and modest enough that Calamity wouldn't feel too embarrassed to wear it in public. Leopold was happy to have found something that wasn't too gaudy. He had been to three jewelers prior to this store.

Now for the moment of truth. "How much is it?"

The woman crossed her arms, knowing eyes unyielding to the obvious power the man before her held. "How much is she worth to you?"

Leopold narrowed his eyes. "Everything."

She smiled at his answer. "Then I'll give you a discount. Most men would have run out of here by now at the potential monetary value of a ring when I ask that question. You did not flinch or even have to think before giving your answer. Treat her right, boy."

Leopold smiled. "I'll treat her like a queen."