LI

Chaos.

Two angry alpha males screamed at medical staff that had no control over the current situation. No one seemed to be paying attention to the woman lying on her back with large gashes on her abdomen. Her face was pale. Her breathing was shallow. Her heart was steadily slowing down.

Lucretia looked nothing like the powerful woman Calamity had grown to respect. She was a mass of dying flesh in an unflattering, white hospital gown.

While the wolf king and his father fought with the medical staff, Calamity didn't hesitate to go to her side almost in a daze. She heard it. Her heart was weakening. Then she heard it stop.

A roar sounded behind her, an alpha wolf felt his mate's heart stop.

Calamity climbed on top of Lucretia. She interlaced her fingers and placed them on her chest. She pushed her hands down forcefully. She did it again, and again, and again. Before she leaned down to breath air into her lungs. She began the cycle again, until she heard a beat. It was faint but enough. If she was even barely alive, she could heal her. Calamity didn't notice the silence of the room's inhabitants. She was too focused on the still-dying woman below her.

Calamity snatched her face hastily. She began to work her magic on the previous wolf queen. She saw her wounds begin to heal. Calamity felt her energy depleting fast.

Lucretia was dead, until she performed CPR on her and brought her back. Healing the injuries would take all of her energy and then some.

Calamity turned tiredly to the only other high level demon in the room. She held out her hand. "Brother, please," she begged.

Phoenix nodded, rushing to her side immediately. He grabbed the outstretched hand and grasped the prior queen's hand. Phoenix pumped his own energy into the woman.

Phoenix only used about a quarter of his energy before he saw that Lucretia's wounds had healed. He turned to Calamity worriedly. She had to have used too much power to be standing, and he was right.

Calamity tried to climb off of the still-unconscious woman. Phoenix offered her his hand. She stared into his eyes for a few seconds before shakily accepting it. As soon as her legs tried to support her weight, they gave out.

Phoenix easily caught Calamity, sinking to the ground as he did so. Leopold snapped out of his haze at this. He rushed over to them.

Calamity wrapped her arms around Phoenix's neck. "Thank you," she whispered hoarsely.

Phoenix's arms tightened around his sister's vulnerable figure. His cheek pressed against the side of her head as he closed his eyes. This was how he remembered her--a scared, vulnerable girl that asked him for help when their father had an episode. That's not what she was anymore, though. She was impossibly stronger. His little sister wasn't so little anymore.

Calamity coughed against her brother's shirt. Phoenix pulled back to scan her face. Calamity coughed again into her elbow. She started a violent coughing fit. Her hands met the floor gracelessly. Blood spurted out of her mouth as her coughing grew worse.

Phoenix cussed quietly, while Leopold began panicking.

"Calamity!" Leopold yelled. His hand went to her back as he tried to help her in some unknown way. He looked at Phoenix fearfully. "What's happening?"

Phoenix grabbed a cloth and brought it to her mouth to soak up the blood that began to soak the floor. "She overdid it. I can't heal her. She used too much magic, so now her body is paying the price."

Leopold's eyes widened. "You mean I can't help her?" He cried helplessly.

"She has to regain her magic on her own. Physical healing won't work because this isn't a physical injury. I don't think it's a good idea for her to take your energy either. Substituting energy where there isn't any may do more harm than good," Phoenix informed.

Calamity stopped coughing. Her breathing was ragged and difficult. Her lungs burned at the oxygen she took in. She felt a large hand palm her abdomen and shift her. Her back pressed against Leopold's chest. Her hooded eyes examined Phoenix, who sat worriedly in front of her. She opened her mouth to speak, but he interrupted her.

"Don't speak Calamity. Just relax. You need to rest." Phoenix turned to Leopold. "Take her back to her room. Do not leave her side. The healing effects of having her mate close are exponentially important right now."

Before Leopold could drag her off, she grabbed Phoenix's hand and squeezed, showing her gratitude one last time.

Her head lolled to the side as her exhaustion increased by fighting sleep. Leopold scooped her up, making his exit from the infirmary. His father stopped him right before he crossed the threshold.

Derek grabbed Calamity's limp hand. Tears streamed down his usually stoic face. "Thank you, Calamity. I will never forget this."

She nodded her head as best she could.

Leo left before any further obstacles could interfere with his walk to Calamity's room. Her breathing became more labored as she tried to fight the inevitability of sleep. "Stop fighting it Calamity. Just go to sleep. You'll heal faster then. I'm right here. Nothing will happen to you."

His urging gave all the incentive she needed to finally give in to sleep.

Leo walked the rest of the way to her room in silence. She had saved the life of his mother, even at the cost of her own health. Calamity pretended to be indifferent to everyone, but she really was one of the most compassionate people he had ever known. She threw safety to the wind as soon as someone else was in trouble.

He maneuvered her body to open the door. He kicked the door shut.

Leopold laid his incapacitated mate on her bed. He grabbed a washcloth from the bathroom and wiped the blood off of her face delicately. He ran his hand down her face lovingly.

No one else could've, no, would've done what she did today. Leopold crawled into bed and sat against the headboard. He pulled Calamity up against him and wrapped his arms securely around her. There was no way he would ever let her go.

He whispered into the darkness of the room, "I love you."