XXI

Leopold ran through the trees towards his home. They were close. They were so close. One more mile. He sped up. Half a mile. He stopped right outside the border.

Calamity jumped from the trees to his side. She stared at the edge of the forest, knowing exactly what was beyond.

Leo shifted back, and Calamity handed him a small bundle of clothes. He dressed himself quickly.

The rest of the group caught up with them. Everyone looked at Leopold. It was his kingdom. He would be the one to make the first step across the border. He looked at Calamity and took her hand in his. He took a step across the border and Calamity followed.

~~~

The entire kingdom felt the arrival of their king and his visitors. They immediately went to the meeting hall, which really was not a hall at all. It wasn't even inside. It was the same field they used for training with a high platform for announcements from the king or his officials.

Leopold walked towards the large group of people. Reinard followed a couple feet behind with his head high and crown on (courtesy of Calamity). Calamity stood directly beside him with her hand on the hilt of her sword. She wore a cold scowl on her face. She meant business.

The wolves watched the group of people in amazement. They watched Leo's confident strides proudly. Their eyes went to Reinard. The human king portrayed no hesitance in his steps. Most of the wolves had never even seen a human before, let alone the king of them.

Collective gasps resounded around the crowd when they saw Calamity. Leopold's scent was heavy on her. The insinuation of who she was weighed on the minds of the pack. Was she his mate? Was she just another of his lovers?

Her face betrayed nothing. A young pup suddenly ran out and clung onto Calamity's leg. She had no idea what to do. Normally she would've killed whoever dared touch her, but this was just a small child. Calamity was not good with children at all. Reinard stopped and looked at her, obviously amused.

"Highness what do I do?" She asked slightly panicked.

"Refrain from killing it, I guess." Reinard chuckled.

Leopold turned around and saw one of the pack's young attached to his mate. While her flustered face was amusing, he knew how she tended to get when she didn't know how to react to something. It normally involved sharp objects.

He walked over to her tense form and placed a hand on her arm. She relaxed quickly at his touch and more so when she realized her mate would get rid of the leech on her leg.

Leo grabbed the child's hand and smiled kindly at him. "Go back to your parents, little one."

The child ran back to the crowd, where two terrified looking parents welcomed their son into their arms. She heard them scold him quietly. They were not quiet enough for Calamity to miss the word "demon" in their scolding though.

Reinard motioned for Leo to come over to him with his hand. When he did as told, Reinard leaned next to his ear and whispered, "Don't do anything stupid up there."

Leo nodded. He didn't know what he could be talking about though, so he wrote it off. Leo walked in the direction of the platform with the same procession as before.

The pack watched with the same awe as before, but now they were certain. That demon was their king's mate.

Leopold reached the stand and climbed up, followed by Reinard then Calamity. He walked to the edge of the large platform before addressing his people.

"I have returned with the human king, King Reinard! Our treaty has been made, and an alliance will be sealed during their stay. They have brought their top warrior and Head General to train us. That means all of us. I will participating in the training sessions as well! The training will be rigorous and daunting, but we will overcome any and all obstacles!" Leopold boomed.

The crowd cheered. Though they did have some questions.

"Who is the Head General?" An anonymous voice shouted from the crowd.

Leo turned towards Calamity. She understood and stepped forward.

"This is General Calamity! She is the Head General of the human army! She will be conducting our training. You are to follow her explicit directions! Whatever she says goes while she is here!" Leo explained.

Chaotic outbursts ensued.

"But she's a demon!"

"How can we trust her?"

"She is our enemy!"

Leopold's eyes went wolfish. "Enough!" He yelled. He grasped Calamity's hand roughly. "Calamity is my mate! Therefore she is your Luna!" Leopold didn't even think about what he was saying. "She is your Queen!"

Calamity pulled away from him, eyes wide with shock. Her hand whipped out faster than the blind eye could see and struck Leopold across his face. The sound of the slap resounded loud enough that everyone present could hear it. Leo stood in shock. His hand cupped his stinging cheek. He looked at Calamity in angry confusion.

Calamity's chest heaved up and down rapidly. "How dare you?" She spat.

She took steps backwards before sprinting off towards the castle directly behind the training ground. She burst through the door and ran up three flights of stairs before running to a random room. She slammed the door behind her and sat on the trunk at the foot of the bed in the room.

Reinard looked at Leopold irritated. "That is what I meant by don't do anything stupid."

Leo finally realized what he had done. He cussed under his breath and sprinted after his mate.

Reinard face-palmed and looked at the crowd of wolves. "I'll leave this to you, bud." He patted Josiah's back and walked to the castle.

Jo sighed and dismissed everyone.

~~~

Leopold followed Calamity to a room he recognized very well. He knocked on the door softly. He received no response.

"Calamity," he called out. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say that. Can we please talk?"

No response.

"Please let me in, Calamity."

"...No."

He had a small smile. "You're in my room, dove."

Calamity lifted her head from her hands and surveyed the room. She hadn't even realized that his scent was everywhere. There was no doubt about it. This was his room.

"Then I'll leave." She walked over to the window.

Leopold opened the door quickly and ran over to her before she could jump out of the fourth floor window. He grabbed her and pulled her away.

"Don't act like a child, Calamity."

"Don't touch me." She pulled away from him roughly.

"I'm sorry, Calamity," he said closing the window. "I didn't mean to tell them all that."

Calamity moved to the bed and sat down with her arms crossed over her chest. Leopold had fantasized about having his mate in his bed, but never quite like this.

"You don't mean to do a lot of things do you?" It wasn't a question. "You know how I feel about being queen! I don't care how angry you got! You should have never said that!" She yelled at him.

He was surprised that she had actually raised her voice at him. "I was defending you!" He shouted back.

She stood up and turned her body towards him. "I didn't need you to defend me! I don't care what they think of me or if they like me! I am not here for them!" She paused and took in a deep breath. "I am here for Reinard and the fate of this war. Nothing else. I will be returning to the humans once my business here is done."

That hurt Leopold. "You can't mean that Calamity. Calamity, I'm sorry. Please don't leave me."

How could he have messed things up so badly, so quickly? He dropped to his knees before her and took her hands.

"Please..." he begged. "Forgive me. I can't live without you."