XIX

Calamity sat in her bed with her back against the headrest. Her left leg was crossed over her right, and a thick book rested on her lap. She was reading Biology of a Water Nymph.

Leopold laid on her couch. He passed out about a minute after they had separated from each other. She had nearly drained him of his life energy. Leo stirred from where he laid. He sat up slowly, holding his head. He looked around groggily. He was clearly confused as to where he was and why he was there.

"How are you feeling?" Calamity asked, without glancing from her book.

"Peachy," Leopold responded as he gathered his bearings. He looked over at her and scanned her from head to toe. "How about you?"

Calamity finished her page. "Fine." She closed her book. "Thanks to you." She looked up into his eyes. "I need to get it across that that will not be happening again anytime soon. That was a level of intimacy I was not ready for and will not be ready for in quite a while. That was an act of necessity. I hope you understand that." She tilted her head to the side.

Leopold stood up slowly and walked over to her bed. He sat right in front of her and cupped her cheek with his large hand. She looked at him expectantly.

"We will go at whatever pace you want. I will not rush you, my dove. If I can do anything to help you in the meantime, just tell me."

Calamity closed her eyes and leaned her face into his palm, relishing in the feel of the tingles. She opened her eyes slowly. "Thank you," she said solemnly. She reached her own hand up to his face and brushed her thumb gently over his cheekbone.

Calamity stood and grasped Leopold's hand in her own. She moved towards her door and pulled him with her slowly.

"I need to pack for the trip to your kingdom," Calamity sighed.

Leopold had nearly forgotten about that. He nodded and opened her door. "When are we leaving?"

"In a few hours. If you need anything, you should pack too," Calamity suggested.

Leo nodded again and turned to leave, but Calamity grabbed his hand again. She pulled him down a little and gave him a chaste kiss on the cheek before letting go and closing the door.

Leo looked at the door for a moment in shock. He turned around and smiled. They had finally broken ground. They could finally develop as a real couple.

~~~

Calamity dropped her two duffle bags on the ground in the foyer. She walked over to where Reinard and Leopold were talking with her arms crossed loosely over her chest. Leopold turned and smiled at her, happily.

Calamity was clad in protective leather gear. Reinard wore his horse riding clothes, and Leopold wore casual clothes.

"Are you not going to be riding a horse, Your Highness?" Calamity scrunched her eyebrows in apprehension.

Leopold's smile flickered at her use of his title, but they were in public. He knew she liked to remain professional. "I will be in my wolf form for the duration of the time we will be traveling. I do not need a horse. You, however, can not transform into an animal, but you do not wear riding clothes. Are you traveling by foot?"

"Partially. I will be in the shadows the majority of the time. I can more effectively protect my king if I remain undetected. When I am not in the shadows I will be in the trees," replied Calamity monotonously as she turned her head to glance at Reinard. She turned her head back to Leo. Her eyes lingered on Reinard for a few seconds.

"Your people need to be ready King Leopold. Remember that we only have less than a month. That is not much time for the training they will have to undergo. You need to impress the seriousness of the situation on them. You all will have to push yourselves to the limit if you want to surpass the advantages that the dark have. You will be easier to train than the humans at least," Calamity informed.

Leopold looked at her in confusion. "Are you saying that I need to train as well?"

Calamity's expression hardened. "You are their king. If I can best you in a simple spar, you need more training. You have to be the strongest among the wolves. You are the example they strive to be. If even you are training, they will be all the more willing to put in their all. It is paramount that you train too, Your Majesty."

Leopold studied her for a few seconds skeptically before nodding. "As you wish, my dove."

The tension left Calamity's body when Leo agreed. She reached her hand out and gave Leo's hand a squeeze in a silent 'thank you' for his understanding. She released him and walked over to Reinard.

"Are you ready?" Reinard asked Calamity. She nodded. "Then let's go."

~~~

Calamity leapt from branch to branch in fast procession, keeping an eye out for any signs of danger. She assessed everything in a one mile vicinity at a rapid speed. She kept an especially close watch on anything near Reinard. She looked over at Leopold's magnificent beast. His powerful paws pounded on the forest floor as he ran to his home. He was rather large for a wolf. An average male wolf only reaches about thirty-two inches. He was about forty-two inches. He was almost a foot taller than most wolves. His black fur billowed in the wind. Calamity wanted to run her hand through his soft fur.

The sky started darkening. Leopold or Calamity would have been able to reach their destination hours ago if it weren't for their human entourage. They would have to camp for the night. Calamity sped up and jumped in front of the group of people, including Leo.

Leo didn't see his mate at first. He skidded to a stop right in front of her to avoid knocking her over. His wolf head reached about mid-abdomen on his mate. He plopped his wolf bottom on the ground in front of her. He panted while giving her a wolfish smile. Calamity petted the top of his head gently. He moved to her side and rubbed his body against her lean legs.

They waited for the rest of the group to catch up. Reinard led his entourage. He saw them first and slowed down his steed.

Calamity looked up at him. "We should set up camp for the night."

Reinard nodded and got off of his horse. He gave her a slight smirk. "I'll leave the fire to you then."