Twenty Four: A Familiar Face

Start from the beginning

"She did?" I blinked and looked over to Mila.

"Aye, she did. That Lark was always visiting the witches and trying to solve problems that weren't hers to solve," Mila said. "Gilly isn't the only one you'll meet who remembers her here, child."

I looked down into the valley around us. Gilly and Mila were higher on the ridge before it all backed into tall cliffs. It gave them a good view of the activity around the courtyard in the middle of it all. Witches were gossiping in small groups as they went about their daily business.

"They'll know my mother," I murmured as I watched.

"Mila tells me you're going to learn our craft?" Gilly said excitedly. "If you have a knack for potion brewery I hope you come to me to learn it."

I smiled at that. "Of course, Gilly."

"Mila, any ideas of what she can do yet?" Gilly asked, turning to the older woman.

Mila, who never answered anything lightly, stared at me as she spoke slowly. "Thanks to her patronage, she has a hand for witchfire. But for all her raw power, I don't know how much of it is useful for the intuitive arts."

"That's reading bones, building wards, that kind of thing." Gilly explained for me. "If you have a hand for witch fire, then you're more likely to take to the physical arts than the unseen ones."

"Oh," I said, still unclear. "So what is potion brewing then?"

"Physical." Gilly beamed at me. "After your assessment, you come to me first. You hear me?"

"Yes Gilly," I smiled.

"Good." She nodded and finally took a moment to inspect her carrots. "Oh, thank you for the food by the way. I have your milk over here."

Gilly set her basket of carrots inside before she cane back out and rounded the corner of her cottage. She lifted a large ceramic bottle with a small cork in the top of it.

"Thank you," Mila said.

"So who is assessing Wren?" Gilly asked. "The word around the coven is Gelwyn, but surely she has better things to do."

Mila just stared at Gilly and I gave her a hopeless look.

"No," Gilly half whispered. "That busybody. Well, she'll be fair. The whole valley will be watching."

"Hm," Mila grunted. "I'll make sure of it."

"You're her guardian? Well, of course you would be." Gilly nodded.

And I was so lost.

"Um, I'm not sure I'm following all of it," I said. "What is the valley watching? What is my guardian?"

Mila gave me a soft look and placed her wrinkled hand on my shoulder. "Your guardian watches over your test and can help guide you through them. Your mother would have been your guardian, but I will have to do."

I nodded, glad to have Mila by my side. "And the whole valley will be watching?"

Gilly nodded. "Many will. When one of us brings a young witch here to see what her strengths are and to learn from the coven, it is a public affair. Any are allowed to watch. Don't worry, they are short and you aren't expected to perform well. It's just to see what you may or may not be able to do."

"And when is this test?" I asked meekly.

"Tonight," Mila said. "I argued a good bit with Gelwyn to get even that much. She insisted at first that I wake you all up and make you test as soon as possible."

Gilly snorted. "Who does she think she is?"

"The valley keeper," Mila said flatly, then turned to me to explain. "She lives in this valley even when the witches are not called together. She protects it, and protects the barriers that don't let outsiders wander in through the caves."

"There were barriers?" I asked surprised.

"Yes, child. You and anyone touching you would be allowed in, now that your heritage is no longer sealed up," Mila said.

"But I wasn't touching..." The Scarf. It was tied to me and Schula and Nassir held onto it. "We were all toughing, I think."

Gilly nodded. "And that's how you all made it through. And Gelwyn will have known as soon as you entered, since it's her responsibility."

"Does the valley keeper always test the young witches then?" I asked.

Mila shook her head. "No. Anyone but your guardian can do it."

"Gelwyn just wants the job because she needs to know you aren't better than she is," Gilly said as she rolled her eyes.

That surprised me. "Why in the world would I be better than she is? I had no idea I was a witch until recently."

"That's because of who she got her job from." Mila sighed. "Some see her position as something better, more sacred than the importance of your average witch. Gelwyn in particular."

"Wren," Gilly said softly. "Lark was supposed to be the next Valley Keeper but she refused it and gave it to Gelwyn. Lark always wanted to travel around, and the Valley Keeper can't do that."

I didn't know what to say to that, so I said nothing. Gelwyn was... jealous? It was hard to reconcile the thought with that proud witch that gazed up at Mila when we first arrived.

"Come, child," Mila said tiredly. "Bring the milk from Gilly. Your friends will wake soon and we must make sure you are fed before your test."

I lifted the container gently, trying to settle it comfortably in my arms.

"I'll be watching your test, Wren," Gilly said as she gave me a gentle squeeze to my hand. "Good luck."

My mouth was dry as I nodded.

"Yeah, see you later."

And I followed Mila back to her cottage.