For the greater good

By Dnmq8

Ten pm, end of shift. The five employees of the packing warehouse stood in a line as their boss faced them, ticking something off on his clipboard.

"Sub par, I'm afraid," he said in his quiet voice. It was a voice that made the five other men shudder in active dislike. To look at the owner of that voice, you'd expect a nasally whine to issue from his pale lips, not the deep-ish baritone he had. It was enough to make real men jealous. Insufferable little prick that he was, he deserved to be stuck with a voice as gay as the rest of him.

Said prick went by the name Uchiha Sasuke, manager for the Chicago branch of Uchiha Unlimited. His announcement didn't come as a surprise, though everyone there knew that the five individuals' performance was exemplary. Sasuke looked up from his clipboard importantly. He was stared at with hostile eyes.

He was thin. That was strike one against the manager. His physique somehow managed to call up the schoolyard urges that drove bullies to select the weakest of the pack and make that person's life a living hell. Bland though the five stares were, each and every one hid rabid, creative thoughts on how to kill the Uchiha fucker.

He wore those retarded little pinstripe shirts with short sleeves. That was strike two against him. For shit's sake, this was 2010! Who went around in that 80's garbage anymore? He even had his thick black hair parted on one side and slicked down with some crap.

Strike three was the pants. As if the man had idolized Urkel, those pants were dragged up past his waist and cinched with a sensible belt. His ankles were clearly visible, as were his hideous dress shoes. Always brown, and always tied in triple knots, were those shoes.

The final straw, and one that made these visits dangerous to Uchiha's person, were the horn-rimmed glasses he wore. Were there not such things as contacts and laser surgery in this advanced day and age? The sight of those vintage specs made the five men want to break them and shove the shards into their owner's black eyes.

Sasuke let the stares marinate, basking in the clear enmity coming his way. It gave him warm feelings. When he felt the tension was thick enough to cut, he decided to speak. "You'll all need to stay on till midnight. Given the state of the economy, I know you'll all feel the proper amount of gratitude for this chance at a few extra dollars. You may thank me with e-cards," he added sarcastically. He turned and twitched away, sliding the large heavy warehouse door open and shut with surprising ease.

-oOo-

Naruto picked up a metal ladder and heaved it at the door, denting the thing in the process. "Fuuuuuuck!" he roared. He spun, looking for something else to throw.

Kiba came and got him in a not-so-friendly choke hold. "We saw it coming, didn't we? No use giving the little shit the satisfaction of knowing he got to you."

Naruto muscled his way out of the hold, spinning to level a finger at the door Uchiha had departed from. "Why does he do this to us? We've been here since 8 am. Where does it say he can fucking work us to death, huh?"

The other four exchanged a glance that said clearly they knew something the blonde didn't. Naruto narrowed his eyes, glancing back and forth between them.

"That's actually a good question," Neji said casually. "How about we get a drink after work and discuss it?" He turned to head towards the back of the warehouse, where they had inventorying to do. This would have been tomorrow's work, but since they were staying two extra hours...

Naruto hurried to follow, jogging to catch up. "Knock it off, Hyuuga. If you know something, spill."

"Quite honestly, I don't know why you haven't noticed before now, Uzumaki," Shikamaru said as he caught up to them. "It's obvious to anyone who looks."