Foxes and dogs

By ixionrider

The moon shown down through the lunar veil of the darkened night, the wind whispering wonderfully whimsical promises of clear weather for tonight. The trees sang their constant song with the coercion of the wind, the Spring crickets adding their own concerto to the performance being held. All of Konoha was enjoying the splendid weather outside, the glare of the full moon shadowing all terrestrial bodies in its glow.

One lonely boy in particular was enjoying the scene unfold in front of him. Kiba Inuzuka sat on the cooling grass, the petals of nearby flowers spread out before him and some managed to dance just under his nose, irritating him. He brushed them aside annoyingly. 'Stupid plants' he scorned their playful dancing, envious that they could be so carefree. This had been the first time in a long time that the young teen, now eighteen, had been able to escape the hectic comings and goings of shinobi life. In just a few short months after the whole Sasuke situation, after he eventually came back around and decided to stay in Konoha village after all, Kiba had grown in stature. He had easily become a Chuunin and was already up for a promotion to Jounin.

His father especially was extremely proud, so much so that he ranted about his "prodigy" son to all would willingly, and sometimes unwillingly, listen.

He had every reason to be happy. He had opportunities opening up in front of him. "Kiba, my son, you are becoming a real man." He remembered his father telling him at one of his many celebrations at graduation. "Yeah...I guess." He shrugged the attention off. Of course being the gentleman that he is, he graciously thanked anybody who offered their praise. Hinata, Neji, Lee, Shikamaru, Chouji, Ino, and Sakura all congratulated him. He could remember their smiling faces, each one so pleased for his success. Yeah, Sasuke didn't show to offer his support, but he never did favor the darker boy, somewhat because he was dark, rude and just plain creepy. But the main reason he despised the Uchiha was because he took away the precious time he knew he was running short of with the person in the whole village he wanted more than anything to be at his celebration and congratulate him.

'Naruto...' the teen thought distressed. '...where are you?' Kiba began to pace back and forth, his faithful companion Akamaru just sat on his hind legs and watched his usually tempered master fall to pieces without his precious kitsune around. Animals have a sixth sense about these sort of things, a result of knowing Kiba for so long, Akamaru could tell what was bugging him, and likewise he also knew that he should not say anything to him.

As much as Kiba wanted to keep it a secret, he had feelings for Naruto, whether he admitted it to himself or not, and Akamaru knew all too well. he saw for himself just how far his master went for the sake of Naruto. The four legged pup was well aware of his disdain for Sasuke, and yet he put his life at stake to bring him back, not just because he was part of Konoha village, but because Naruto wanted him back.

On top of that, Kiba often adopted a sort of protective attitude towards the blonde, always near to him when he was in danger, ready to take a hit if necessary. It was an aftereffect of his friendly relationship with Naruto. His canine instincts told him to protect what was important to him.

Kiba kept up his pace, always looking at the door, waiting for that familiar smile and sunflower hair to brighten his day. Even as kids, Kiba and Naruto still had fun together. Always skipping classes with the loudmouth ninja, even though he was instructed by Akamaru to stay put. Even when Naruto was considered the outcast, Kiba heard all of the terrible things his parents said about the boy in the privacy of their house, but his senses told him a different story. He was a lonely pup just looking for someone to be with. Having canine instincts as it was, Kiba felt a strong bond with the outcast blonde.

He can faintly remember, even to this day, and it still makes him blush, his first encounter with the boy. His animalistic curiosity got the better of him and he went up to the still young Naruto. He had to have been at the very most five years old. Without the blonde's knowledge, Kiba crept behind the still oblivious Naruto while he was chatting away about his dreams of becoming the best shinobi ever to walk the earth and...sniffed him.