S I X T Y - N I N E

"Hello?"

Silence.

I look around me and there's blood.

"Malia."

I'm covered in blood.

"Wake up!"

In...my blood.

"Malia wake up!"

I jump up, screaming as I get out of the bed.

I look around and I'm in Ethan's room.

Ethan looks at me with wide eyes as he tries to slowly get close to me.

"Malia, calm down. I need you to calm down." I back up a little and he even more cautiously gets closer to me until I finally breathe in relief and I wrap my arms around him.

"You we're having a nightmare, but you wouldn't wake up." Ethan mumbles and I quickly pull back immediately touching my stomach.

No bullet wound, no blood.

"I-I was shot. Luke shot me." I look up at Ethan who now looks pissed off.

"What do you mean you were shot? You've been here with me for the past 2 hours."

"I had a dream that Luke came to apologize to me but he got angry and broke into my house. He had a gun and was trying to kill Isabel, Grayson, Cameron and I. We jumped out through my bedroom window and that's when you and the cops came. But as soon as we were walking away, Luke shot me."

He only wraps his arms around me even tighter while I let him hold me.

He pulls back as makes me face him.

"Luke is not gonna be around you anymore. He won't ever lay a finger on you. I promise you that."

His embrace is reassuring, just like his words and the tone of his voice. He meant what he said and I believe it more than ever.

————

April

High school was coming to an end. We were studying for finals, getting ready for our senior activities, making sure we purchased our cap and gowns, yearbooks, class rings, grad night tickets, prom tickets, graduation tickets. As much as I hated half of my high school years, I was going to miss coming here. I've grown used to coming to school and now that I've gotten used to it, I was going to have to leave it.

I wasn't where I thought I'd be these last few months. I didn't think I'd be talking with Ethan ever again. I thought of the people I considered my friends who were now the people I hated the most.

I'm snapped out of my thoughts my Isabel waving her hands.

"Hey, you alright? You zoned out for a few minutes."

I nod. "Yeah, I was just thinking."

"About?" She raises a brow.

"High school...Ethan." I pick at my nails and she sighs.

"Que es lo que te tiene Ethan que te deja tan pensativa?" *What is it about Ethan that has you so in thought?* She leans against the headboard of my bed and I let myself fall back on the bed.

"Everything Isa. I didn't think I'd be here."

"Alive or-"

"No, not dead. Even with what almost happened with me, that wasn't what I meant." She sighs in relief and I continue on.