Chapter 8

• Dedicated to Niall James Horan <3

Chapter 8:

December 20th, 2012

ELLA'S POV

4 days into my stay with Niall, and yet every time I saw him, my heart would clench.

Every time our eyes met...

Every time he smiled...

Every time he laughed...

Every time he said my name...

It all made me want to cry, but I didn't. For Dad.

I was hanging upside down from my bed in the room Coleen and I shared.

She and I heard a knock at the door before it opened. Niall poked his blond head in.

"The boys and I are heading off to a concert." He said.

"Okay!" Coleen chirped.

I avoided answering and kept my eyes far from his blue gaze. He seemed to notice, and when he looked at me expectantly, and I didn't answer, his face fell. My heart panged. It would hurt to see his face like that even if I hadn't caused it.

Niall blinked a few times, before softly shutting the door behind him.

"You can't ignore him forever, Ella." Coleen's voice penetrated my thoughts.

"No," I admitted, "But I can try."

"Well, you're doing a mighty fine job considering you're living with him." She muttered.

That got me mad, "Shut up. He took advantage of my weak moment."

"And yet you're still here." She pointed out.

"Bu—"

"But nothing, Ella. You're hurting him. Can't you see it?"

Yes. "No," I said instead.

"Well, I love these boys. And I think you're awesome. I understand that what Niall did to you was wrong! But you gotta cut the boy some slack!" Coleen told me.

"He left me, Colly! He promised he would come back for me, and he didn't!" I had to fight to keep my voice level as I sat up straight. The tears burned against my eyes.

"He did?"

"Yes." I said quietly, "One night, we kissed and hugged, and the next morning I read a goodbye letter. He said the day after the X-Factor finished, he'd come for me. It's been 2 years, Colly." I choked out, hugging my knees.

"I didn't know that, Ells." Coleen said, using the nickname for me that she was fond of.

"I doubt he's told anybody." I rubbed my eyes with the back of my sleeve, refusing to admit to myself that I was crying.

It was another 20 minutes before Coleen received a call on her iPhone.

"Zayn?.... Yeah, I know what it looks like.... That bad?.... Geezus.... Yeah, I'll go find it.... Kay, I'll stop by once I find it.... Love you too, ya unicorn turd."

Zayn and Coleen may have their differences, and they tease each other and fight, but when it comes to it, Zayn is closer to her than he is to his own sisters.

"What's going on, Colly?" I asked as she flew up from her bed and out the door.

"Niall wears this bracelet to every concert and award show he's ever been to. He believes it's his good luck charm. In his audition, he almost didn't get through, and he rubbed it, and this is where he says he got through. Anyways, today, he forgot it, is freaking out and refuses to perform without it." Colly told me, rushing through the hallways to the room I'd been avoiding the most.