Chapter 35

Warnings: Blood

~Preston's P.O.V.~

     I'm in the midst of melting the face of a slime when suddenly everything seems to come to a standstill. There's a huge blast, and then all at once the mobs stop attacking. Their red eyes fade, and for the most part, they seem confused. A few begin to run away, a few resume their initial attack since they are naturally hostile, and other begin to simply wander. The ones attacking give up quickly. My eleven other me's join my side and re join my body, expanding me back to my normal size. Panting heavily, I rest my hands on my knees, analyzing the area.

       Rob is unconscious by a pool of lava, a golden key clutches loosely in his hand. My heart skips a beat for a moment, and then I calm down realizing that he must've passed out from using so much magic. Plague is impaled on a pillar of stone nearby, his eyes hollow and black, several of his bones broken off and his jaw hanging open. One of the skulls that normally float by his side lays on the ground motionless, it's normally gleaming white eyes as dark as the void. Vikk has turned back to normal, but he's clearly in dire pain, his head resting between his knees as he struggles to regain his breath. The blond haired one is sitting off a little ways, covered in blood and scratches. He's as pale as a snowgolem, just staring at his hands with a numb expression. And that leaves the furry, and quite terrifying, creature, doused in blood, shakily pulling the ominously still form of the winged boy into his arms. My stomach instantly ties into a knot as I see the grey hue of his skin, the black particles floating off his body, and the second either skull laying nearby.

       I shamble quickly to their side, tripping over countless dead bodies and swerving around several others as I make my way over. Vikk struggles to his feet, tagging along at a sluggish pace, covered head to toe in dried blood. We exchange a worried glance as soon the loud sobs of the bacca are audible amongst the chorus of monster noises filling the air.

      "Oh no..." Vikk breathes, bringing a hand to his lips.

      The deathly pale boy with the checkered hoodie is as limp as a noodle in the baccas arms, a cold sweat breaking out on his pain filled face. He spasms occasionally, his breaths shallow and quick, one side of his body completely blackened. Tears stream down the baccas face and he mumbles worriedly under his breath, his eyes wide and un comprehensive as he scans his friends body. Vikk and I stand there awkwardly, unsure of what to say or how to react do what to do. There doesn't seem to be anything we can do.

      "Oh Notch, please be okay.... please be okay..." The bacca sobs, trembling, "Why'd you do it Mitch? Why didn't you let me take the hit? Why?"
      "I'm... gonna go check on Rob." Vikk says slowly, inching away.
       "Yeah... okay."

      The blond haired stranger slowly stands, shuffling over to stand quietly beside me. I glance at him, but he chooses to ignore my presence for the moment. After a moment of silence, even the mobs seeming to quiet down, the tall boy speaks up, his voice scratchy and heavily accented. He addressed the bacca, who has become unnervingly still in the presence of his person.

       "Jerome, I..."
       "This is your fault." 'Jerome' states blandly, gently laying a quickly dying 'Mitch' down.
       "I'm... sorry?"
       "This is your. Fault." Jerome repeats, a little louder this time, his words sharp and unforgiving.

        The blond and Jerome hold each other's gaze for what seems like an eternity, Jerome's eyes cold and bitter and the others guilty and unsure. I still do not know his name. I don't dare ask. The next time Jerome speaks, his words are dangerously quiet.

       "You saw the skull." He accuses.
       "..."
       "You saw the skull, and dove to protect yourself. Like the selfish prince you are." He continues, scowling. "If you had not of distracted me, I could've blocked that attack. If you had a hint of compassion, you would have shouted a warning. If you had done anything, my best friend wouldn't have been lying here, almost DEAD!" Jerome snaps, abruptly rising to his feet.