Chapter 2

Warnings: Mentions of blood, violence/abuse, trigger warning?

     ~Preston's P.O.V.~

"Get out of here, you freak!"

     Ducking as a glass bottle sails at my head, I wince in pain as a few shards of glass catch me, drawing blood as I make a hasty retreat. The familiar cold grip of depression grabs at my heart, unspoken words creating a knot in my throat, and tears threatening to spill. More insults, threats, and boos of discrimination are called as I streak by, tears now freely falling as I take every word to heart, pulling the hood of my torn cloak farther down, in hopes to conceal my 'freakish' face. Something heavy and solid collides with the back of my skull-perhaps a large stone-and I crash to the ground, hands flying out not nearly fast enough to save myself from the fall. Sharp rocks dig into my forearms, and dirt flies up into my eyes, already blurry with tears. The warm trickle of blood seeps down the back of my neck, and I scramble to my feet, whimpering and sobbing, stumbling away from the angry mob of villagers.

By the time I've managed to escape from the walls of the town, and into the safety of the surrounding forest, my lungs are searing, my throat is bone dry, and cuts and bruises litter my body. Sobbing, I sink to the forest floor, waves of grief washing over me, and drowning me like a tidal wave. Why am I like this? What did I do to deserve being condemned to the life of a hated mutant... Or hybrid... Or whatever I am!? Other mutants and hybrids are accepted, so why do I have to be stuck with a stupid red gem?! I scream inwardly, glaring with hatred at the red gem planted permanently on the top of my hand. With a wail of agony, I slam it against the tree I'm leaned against, crying out as a sharp pain jolts up my arm, the stinging from my cuts suddenly becoming more prominent. Even more fresh hot lava tears spill down my cheeks.

A concerned yip calls out to me as a white mass bounds out from behind a bush, and Silver jumps into my lap, barking worriedly and sniffing at my wounds. A sad smile touches my lips, and I ruffle the fur on Silver's head, who whimpers in concern and gazes up at me with frightened onyx black eyes.

"It's alright girl, I'll be okay." I lie, sniffling and scratching her chin.

The young dog wags her tail, tongue lolling out of her mouth as she leans into my touch. I found silver when she was just a wolf pup, wandering the forest alone. Taking pity on her, I took her in and now she's my only friend, loyal and loving. I frown as I think of what Silver might think if she was intelligent, and could see me for what I really am, like everyone else does. A freak of nature. Would she change? Run off in fear? Attack in disgust? I wouldn't blame her... if I saw a lava-creeper hybrid monstrosity with a red gem, I'd fear me too.

"I brought you something." I tell Silver, pulling out a piece of cooked steak.

Silver barks in delight, snatching the meat from my hand, and stalking off a few paces before she flops down and begins to devour it. I smile watching her, tail wagging in delight as she wolfs it down within seconds. But then regret and guilt sinks in, a feeling I'm all too familiar with. I wish more than I could give her a better life, let her explore and walk the streets of Oresville freely, instead of having to wait here alone in the forest when I make my infrequent trips into the village. I finger the sleeves of my cloak, torn and dirty after all the beatings it's taken over the years. I use it to conceal myself when I go into Oresville, which I only do when absolutely necessary, to buy food or other things to keep myself just barely alive. I never last long. The people of Oresville always seem to find out my identity prematurely, and now it seems they're beginning to recognize me by the cloak I always wear. Soon I'll have to move on, and find a new town. Then I'll repeat the process I've been living off of for the past nineteen years of my life. Find a place to hide near town, sneak in from time to time for supplies, and then leave when the people start to get too dangerous and aggressive.

I feel tears welding up again as I continue dwelling in my thoughts of self-pity. Oh how I long to have but a mere green gem-the gem of a commoner. It's not the fact that I'm a lava-creeper hybrid that disgusts and strikes fear into everyone. It's the red gem I bear. Mutants and hybrids are accepted surprisingly well amongst the humans. Very rarely are they discriminated against, and those who do such things are generally looked down upon. But it's this dang red gem that sets me apart from the others. The red gem is a sign for criminals, theives, outcasts, and the like. Basically anyone who is unfortunate enough to be looked down on by society, by their own doing or sometimes by fate. I'm not a criminal. Not a killer. Not a thief. And though I can't quite comprehend why, I bear the red gem as an outcast, forever doomed to a life of hatred. Perhaps it was something my parents did, parents who I never knew. Maybe it's because a part of my hybrid is that of a creeper-a hostile mob that is feared and wreaks havoc. Whatever the reason, I'm stuck with it, without hope of ever becoming a green gem, never mind a blue, gold, or purple gem.

I'm snapped from my thoughts as I hear a low growl, and my eyes shift towards Silver, who stands with her teeth bared, her fur fluffing up to make herself look bigger.

"What's wrong Silver?" I ask cautiously, fingering the worn down iron sword by my side.

It's then I notice the breeze. A gentle, soft, breeze just strong enough to make the lush grass sway, and the leaves above rustle. And though I can't put my finger on it, something about it seems... Off. Rising quickly to my feet, sword gripped tightly in my hands, I eye the surrounding bushes with wary eyes. And then suddenly, a bolt of white light is streaking out, heading straight towards me at breakneck speed.

Silver snarls and lunges at it, jaws clamping on air as the streak flashes by, slamming into me with such force that I'm thrown back into the tree behind me forcefully. In a daze, I slump to the ground, everything spinning as the wind dies down and a loud ringing erupts in my ear. I groan in pain, and Silver jumps over, whimpering and nuzzling my face in concern. Shaking my head, still slightly dazed and thrown off, I wince as the cuts on my body sting painfully. Silver nudges my hand.

"I'm alright girl, it's okay." I comfort my pet, reaching out groggily to pat her head.

There's only a moment when I question everything, and I doubt my own eyes, as I see the gem on my hand is no longer red. Nor is it green, blue, purple, or gold. And then my world is spiralling into darkness.

~~~
Question of the chapter:

I've already asked in a different book what everyone's favourite ship in The Pack was... So what is your LEAST favourite ship in The Pack?

My answer: Don't kill me pls cuz I know this is a pretty popular ship buuuutttt... I don't really ship TBNRDuty/Leston XD