Chapter 21

Had to rewrite because for some reason the entire chapter deleted :/

Warnings: None

~Vikk's P.O.V.~

As my bleary eyes adjust to the dim lighting of... wherever I am, the first thing I realize is that the mutant and mage for some odd reason decided to spare my life. In fact, not only did they spare it, but it appears they healed my wounds. How do I know that they saved me, and my wounds weren't healed from respawning? Well, as I carefully push myself into a sitting position, I glimpse the bandages wrapping around my larger wounds, and I feel the sharp bite of pain that originates from the zombie bite on my arm. Having just woken up however, I unintentionally neglect the significance of said bite.

Smacking my dry lips, I rub groggily at my eyes, taking in my surroundings. Seeing the enchanting table, potions lining the shelves on the walls, and other bits of magical items, I automatically assume I've been brought to the mages base. Why? I haven't a clue. But I certainly don't plan on sticking around to find out.

"I've gotta get out of here..." I mumble, shuffling off the bed I was placed on. "Before the mutant and the mag come back, and reconsider their choice of saving my life."

In reality, they couldn't really kill me, even if they wanted to. No gems other than shite or black can crush another white gem. However, that doesn't mean they can't lock me up and torture me or simply just kill me over and over again. And because I still haven't discovered what my supposed power is, it gives me all the more reason to pack up an go ASAP.

Now I'm not a thief, but only equipped with a few spare pieces of bread and literally nothing else, I make my way hastily over to the nearest chest and open it in search of a weapon, more food, and maybe some spare armor. Take only what you need. No need to give the mage another reason to potentially kill you. I remind myself, ignoring the appeal of a fancy set of diamond armor and tools, and instead settling for a set of iron armor, an iron sword, and half a stack of baked potatoes. I quickly toss the items into my inventory, shut the chest, and turn around to be on my way...

Only to come face to face with the mage.

I let out a yell of surprise, jumping nearly a foot in the air and falling back over the chest behind me. The mage steps back in surprise, and I scramble to my feet, drawing the iron sword I literally just stole and backing up against the wall as far as I psychically can.

"Woah, hey, hey! Clam down bro, I'm not going to hurt you." The mage says, holding his hands up and making a "calm down" sort of gesture. "We're on the same team!"
"The same team...? What are you-"

The rest of my sentence is lost as the mage flips his hand around to reveal an exact replica of the white gem I bear myself. I lower the sword slightly, the gears in my head spinning as I begin to piece everything together.

"So... that's why you saved me!" I exclaim, staring at the mage in disbelief. "You're one of the white gems too! But how did you know I was a white gem?"
"You see these white lines?" The mage asks, nodding at the line connecting our gems and the others that spread out in different directions. "I made them as kind of like a tracking device. They're showing us where the other white gems are."
"Oh I see." I say, mentally faceplaming for my stupidity. Then, another realization dawns on me. "That would explain why Kenny said you were so strong... and does that mean the mutant is a white gem too?"
"Indeed. His name is Preston, and judging by your attitude, I'm assuming you're not gonna be like the rest of your village and mock him. My name is Rob. And you are...?"
"My name is Vikk. I suppose I owe you an apology for taking your stuff. And also thanks for saving me back there."
"It's not a problem really, you'd do the same for me." Rob shrugs, pulling out a chair and sitting down. "So have you figured out your power yet? Preston is basically a lava creeper, and he can melt into a puddle of lava and reform and stuff. My power is that I have access to the two master classes of magic. They take up a lot of energy to use though."
I shake my head, "Nah. But that sounds pretty cool." I lament, subconsciously scratching at the bandage around my arm.