Chapter Two

I quickly made my way into the elevator, sending Mandy a quick text telling her to contact my father's assistant and let him know not to accept any calls from Mr. Offstead or his office, as well as text Opal to meet me out front. When the doors dinged open, I stepped out and made my way through the overpriced lobby. There wasn't too many guests checking in or out and I scanned over the employees all doing their jobs. I felt bad that within the next few weeks they would, most likely, be out of a job. I wondered if they knew just how much of an idiot their boss is.

I smiled curtly at the doorman and breathed in the summer breeze. Opal was waiting for me at the curb as I got into the front seat.

"How did it go, Madison?" Opal asked as she merged onto the street.

"About as good as it could've gone. Mr. Offstead was never the biggest fan of mine and I'm sure our meeting really blew a hole in his Texas-sized ego." I answered back. "Why don't you stop somewhere to get a snack? I don't have to be back at the office until about 5:45."

"What do you have in mind, sweet girl?"

I smiled at her affectionate nickname, "Your choice. You know I'm not picky. As long as it's not sushi." I add threateningly after a second.

Opal laughs softly, "I would never put you through that sort of torture."

She stopped at a small deli and we made our way in, picking up a sandwich for Mandy, as well. We ate in the car, weaving through impossibly slow New York traffic. At one point, Opal gives the finger to an older cabbie who nearly side swiped us and I erupted into giggles at the sight of this grandma's road rage.

She dropped me off at the entrance of my building and I told her to go home for the night, as I would drive myself home, since I left my car in the carpark basement last Friday before my trip to the beach. Once inside, I caught the elevator, greeting a few employees as they made their way home, and made my way to Mandy's office to find her typing away at this weeks schedule.

"I've brought food."

She looked up with her wide blue eyes and a grateful grin broke out on her face. She took the sandwich from me and after one bite she groaned loudly, "This is exactly what I needed. I was so hungry."

"I figured you would be after I saw you eat that pathetic salad for lunch. Which diet trend are you on this month?" I asked rolling my eyes playfully.

"One that requires me to skip breakfast and have only a salad with no dressing during lunch, but I can gorge for dinner."

"That makes literally no sense. You really shouldn't be giving in to diet culture. It's ruining our brains." I pointed my finger at her and checked the time on my phone realizing that I needed to head up to my father's office. "Finish that and then meet me upstairs. You can hang with Maryse while I'm in the meeting. I'm sure I'll have things to add to the schedule once we are done." I grabbed my things and said a swift "See you." to Mandy, as I made my way back to the elevator to the top floor.

As the doors opened, I was met with the prying eyes of Maryse, my father's secretary, who smiled at me, but it turned into more of a grimace. She has been my father's secretary for as long as I can remember and she's one of my least favorite people. I nodded my head, passing her by not worrying about her letting my father know I was coming in. Knocking loudly on the door, I immediately walked in, surprised to see not just my father, but also Orsen Montgomery, one of our top Accounts Executive and a young man, who I vaguely recognized.

"Madison, my dear, there you are!" My father cheerfully walked over and patted my shoulder. I surveyed the room, noticing the two scotch glasses on the desk, and looked back at my father, seeing the slight bloodshot in his eyes.