Chapter Twenty-Three

Harry and I exit the elevator on the top floor in silence.

We haven't really talked since he came back from the restroom. Both of us lost in our own heads. I ignore Maryse as per usual and knock on my fathers door, opening it directly after it. I refused to wait for an answer when it came to my dad even though it had caused me to walk in on a few unsavory things, such as the first time I walked in on my father and Maryse have sex when I was much younger.

I step inside, Harry right behind me, and mustered up the courage to greet my father when I smell the familiar stench of alcohol fill my sinuses. I groan internally and glance around to see him filling up his drink and glancing back at us.

"Oh good, you're here." He says as he puts the bottle of scotch back down. I wonder how many he's had today, how impaired he is in this moment and I remind myself to keep my cool. He turns to the man standing silently next to me, "Harry, my boy, how are you?"

His tone is pleasant making me think that this isn't what Harry and I had been worrying about. I turn to him to see a calm exterior, his usual charming self coming out to play.

"I'm great. How are you?"

"Honestly, stressed." I frown at my fathers admission.

"What's going on, Dad?" I ask inquisitively.

He looks at me and I see the familiar bloodshot eyes. My shoulders slump at the sight, but I don't say anything hoping Harry doesn't notice the state my father is truly in.

"Drinks?" He asks while pouring us a glass. He hands them to us without an answer and gestures for us to sit down.

The tension is slowly building in the room, my stomach in knots at what could come out of his mouth. I don't dare look at Harry, not wanting to give anything away.

"So, Harry how has it been working with Madison?" He says as he sits down opposite of us.

Harry looks over at me, but I don't meet his eyes, instead keeping them trained on my father who is watching us with furrowed brows.

"It's been really great. I can't tell you how much I've learned from her in just a month."

His words warm my heart and I can't help the small smile form on my face.

My father glances at me and says, "Well, she's had nothing but positive things to say about you. I've never seen her rave about anyone the way she does you and she's had several people shadow her, so that says a lot about your abilities. She's one of the toughest critics and doesn't bite her tongue when it comes to her opinions."

Harry chuckles, "I've noticed, sir." I look over to see a slight blush form on his face and I smile fondly at him.

"Yes, that's the Konrad blood in her."

I roll my eyes, "Alright, Dad, what's this about." I ask playfully.

"Well, I'm not sure you noticed but I was forced to let go of John Fray this morning."

My jaw drops, "Wait, what?"

"Yes, we decided it was best to cut ties. He's broken a few company policies, including doing personal things on work time and we also found out he had an inter-office work affair with one of our interns." He says briskly.

Harry and I both freeze, a loud silence filling the room after what my father said. This was the nail in the coffin to whatever Harry and I were doing with each other, I knew that.

"Okay." Is all I can say.

"Right, well with your recommendation, Madison, I would like to offer Harry his old position." My father states matter-of-factly.