"Now our little game must come to an end," Grimmel said to him. Berk's dragons quickly flew towards Grimmel's airship to protect their alpha. Nightshade was the fastest, roaring in rage at Grimmel. Grimmel spotted them and mounted his harpoon, aiming it at the Light Fury. "Call them off, Alpha! No reason for her to die, too!" Toothless noticed the dragons flying to him and roared at them to prevent them from flying too close to him. They stopped flying toward him so quickly. The rest of the riders arrived at the scene soon enough. 

Nightshade, however, was having none of it. She roared at Grimmel and fired a shot at him. He avoided it and Nightshade got another shot ready. Toothless roared at her in alarm. She looked at him, her mouth ablaze and her tail glowing and ready to fire. The Night Fury's eyes were wide and fearful, begging her not to fight. She looked at the Light Fury and then back at Toothless. She put out her fire and roared at Grimmel before falling back to the other dragons. Grimmel laughed.

"And I wouldn't get any ideas, dragon! I still have your rider!" Nightshade growled at him, her eyes and tail turning blood red to show her fury.

"What are they doing? They could totally take him!" Snotlout exclaimed.

"Not with her life on the line." Hiccup replied.

"But you heard what he said. (Y/n) is still alive after all." Arrow added. Hiccup's mind raced with questions and concerns at the thought of her being locked away, but right now Toothless and the Light Fury were in more danger than she was. 

Toothless roared at Grimmel's Deathgrippers, trying to make them fly away too but they threatened Toothless instead. "Save your breath! The only alpha they respond to is me!" Grimmel shouted at the dragon. He gave up and looked back at Hiccup. The two locked eyes sadly.

"Awww, don't feel too bad. You tried your best! But, you are nothing without your dragon." Grimmel laughed. Grimmel whistled, causing his Deathgrippers to fly to the other dragons and prevent them from flying past them. Grimmel flew away and Toothless urged the other dragons to follow him anyway. They followed along and Hiccup ran to the edge of the cliff.

"Toothless!" He called out once more, but there was nothing he could do. He stopped running and watched as the dragons flew away. He then began to pace, the stress and worry consuming him.

"Oh, that is just...ugh, great! Now what?" Tuffnut snapped.

"I think it's time for number two to become number one." Snotlout said. Nobody was paying attention to him, however. Valka put a hand on Arrow's shoulder.

"He'll listen to you." Arrow nodded and walked over to Hiccup. Still pacing, Hiccup spotted Arrow but turned away.

"Don't say it." He said quickly. Arrow held up both his hands.

"I wasn't going to." 

"I shouldn't have dragged you out there. He wouldn't have flown me back. She wouldn't have followed." Hiccup ranted.

"Yep."

"Aah! I feel like the same screw-up I was before I met Toothless." He yelled, frustrated more than ever.

"I can see that," Arrow commented. Hiccup stopped, looking at his friend who was just standing there.

"Are you just gonna stand there and agree with everything?" 

"Well, you're right. You're back to where you started. But I was the first to believe in you and (Y/n). And I have watched you doubt whether you're worthy ever since. But you know what...I am the person I am today because of you. I never told you that but it's true. You are the bravest, most stubborn, most determined...knucklehead I know. Toothless didn't give you that, Hiccup. He just made it-"