1: Outside the Fort Walls

Start from the beginning

I can't be caught!

I made a quick turn to the right and scrambled up the tallest and thinnest tree within a five foot radius. I made up high enough it just in time for him to not be able to reach me. And, I chose a pretty good tree. Sturdy enough for me to climb high, but too weak to hold both a cat and dog hybrid, if he even had the skills to climb. Which most dog hybrids don't, if school taught me correctly.

"No! I was so close!" I heard the dog groan from under the tree.

I was about to laugh, but I was breathing too heavily, and then I also realized that I just ran further away from the fort. Ugh. I guess the only way out is to wait for them to notice I'm missing. And it's night. 

I don't allow anyone in my room at night.

I guess I'll be here until tomorrow at some point in time, because I'm sure that this dog hybrid won't be leaving anytime soon. After all, the dogs have never captured a cat hybrid before, and maybe this one wants to be the first.

My suspicions were confirmed when I heard him call back up through his radio. "Hey, Jimin, get the others. I've chased a cat into a tree and I need some help retrieving it."

I scoff. "Retrieve?" I grumbled through my heavy breaths, "What am I? A frisbee?"

The dog below chuckled and turned his radio on again. "Hurry up, will you? I got a funny one."

"What's so funny? I'm not an object," I argued as I was finally starting to catch my breath. But the dog didn't reply. I rolled my eyes and laid back on the tree branch to rest my eyes and relax. After a few minutes, I heard a whole group of people jogging to the tree. I opened one eye to peak, and saw a total of four dog hybrids, carrying various types of equipment. Mentally shrugging it off, I closed my eye and continued to rest, letting my tail sway dangerously low just to tease them.

"Hey, kitty!" The first dog called out.

"Come down!" A different voice gently demanded.

"We just want to talk!" A third voice attempting to be convincing. Idiot.

"No," I shouted back, "I'm not stupid enough to fall for that."

"We'll give you one more chance to come down on your own."

"No thanks!" I answered. "I think I'll just chill up here for a bit longer. It's actually really comfortable."

Below me, they became quiet. I think I heard some rustling, but no voices. Maybe they'll leave me alone long enough for my pack to find me. I relaxed for around ten to fifteen more minutes, when suddenly, the tree shook with a jolt.

I lost my balance, but caught myself by hugging the branch before I could fall. Hanging with my arms and legs wrapped tightly around the branch like a sloth, I looked over my shoulder to the ground. Some of them were holding axes, and there was a decently sized hole in the tree trunk at about their arm swing level.

"H-hey! What are you doing?!" I screeched as I watched one of them swing their axe over their shoulder, readying themselves for a swing. As an answer, they swung the axe at the tree, and my grip slipped a little as the tree shook again. The tree I chose wasn't even that thick. It would be down within the next few swings, if I didn't fall out first. "Stop that!" I yelled.

One of them looked up at me and smirked. "Listen here, kitty, either you come down, or we'll force you to come down.

"Do it, I dare you," I challenged him, trying to appear brave and fearless. But my voice cracked, giving me away.

They all laughed at me, making me pout. I know my voice cracking may be ridiculous, but them laughing at me kinda hurts my feelings. I'm not used to anyone being allowed to say anything negative in my presence. Maybe I've been a bit too sheltered as a child. Maybe just a little. 

"If you say so, kitty," the same dog as before singsonged before whacking the tree with an axe.

I whined and tightened my grip on the tree. "Don't call me that!"

"Then do you want us to call you kitten?"

My eyes widened. "N-no! Don't call me that either!"

"Then what should we call you, kitty?" Another whack.

"Just leave me alone!"

"Sorry, no can do. We have to make sure you aren't spying on us."

"I swear I'm not! I just wanted to take a walk! I'm not a spy, I promise!" I practically screeched.

They all chuckled again. A whack. I squealed. Another whack. I quickly pulled myself back on top of the branch. Whack. The tree started swaying unsteadily, just like my breathing at the moment. One last whack, and the tree tilted to the side, slowly gaining momentum as it started to fall. I screamed for a second, my heart starting to beat frantically.

As I heard their high fives and laughter, I gained more determination. Just as the tree was about to hit the ground, I leaped off, using the momentum to roll and continue running away. I few gasps were heard from behind me, and I ran to the left, both to try and blend in with the trees, and to get closer to the path back to the fort. I have never run so fast in my life, as I continued to run in a wide arch.

I could hear them running behind me. Some closer than others. I hear one branch off from the others, going in a different direction. He must have decided to get help. At least that's one less dog running after me right now. I don't remember going too far from the fort, but I think I'm still too far for my pack to hear my screams for help, so I kept quiet to save my breath, as my breathing was getting really heavy and labored.

Then I'm hit by something and I'm on the ground. I yelped, and it took me a few seconds to register what just happened into my mind. The dogs behind me were still at least 30 feet away, and I was hit by the side, so it couldn't have been any of them. I didn't crash into anything or trip, because then it would have come from the front, and I wouldn't feel like I was being crushed at the moment. It's then that I realize what occurred. 

The dog that turned must have realized I was running in a loop to get back home, and broken off from the group to intercept me. I admit that was a clever move, but I would never admit that out loud, especially since my body hurts. I was just tackled to the ground from my side while I was running full speed. Of course my body hurts.

Groaning, I turn my head to look at the dog pinning me to the ground. It was the one who first spotted me.

"Got you."