Seven Becomes Eight

"For you, Kankuro... Inuzuka Kiba."

"Hey buddy."

"Temari, this is Yamanaka Ino."

"Nice to meet you."

"And... ah! Gaara! This is your host brother for your stay, Namikaze Naruto!"

After introducing the three Suna kids to their homestay partners, Haruki clasped her hands together as the three Konoha nin stepped forward to meet their guests. Kankuro and Kiba stood across from each other with their arms crossed, Temari and Ino exchanged small nods, while Naruto stood scratching his head nervously as he grinned at a chilly Gaara.

"Now for you three, the plan is slightly different to what we have in store for the Academy children," explained Haruki, flipping over to the next page of her clipboard. "I'm certain you may have already met during your chūnin exams. Considering we don't want to bore you by making you attend classes about things you've already learned, we've paired you up with these three so that you can follow them around and get a feel of their daily lives. None of them should be going on missions during your stay, but in the rare case that they do, we have backup host students to take care of you should they have to leave. Do you have any questions?"

Temari raised her hand.

"Would my brothers and I be able to meet at all over the next couple of weeks?"

"Of course! Feel free to make any plans as you see fit with your siblings and your host students. As for meetings with Pakura-san and Baki-san, I'm sure they've already briefed you on how to reach them?"

"Yes, they have."

"Wonderful. Of course, you're also free to pop by to check up on the Academy students whenever you're free or feel like it. For you, joining in on their classes and excursions are optional."

"Understood. Thank you, Haruki-san."

"No worries. I'll let you get going, then- surely you want to set off and settle into your new homes as soon as possible!"

Haruki beamed brightly as the six chūnin bowed at her, uttering their thanks before skulking off to collect the Suna students' belongings with limited conversation.

"... nee-chan, we're going n-now..."

Haruki turned to see Hinata waving meekly at her as she stood before an amused Pakura, who was shouldering her backpack as she waited for Hinata to take her to her homestay for the next two weeks.

"This is your sister, huh?" asked Pakura, grinning at Haruki as she approached the Hyūga behind Hinata. "The resemblance is uncanny. You're both so very pretty."

"Same goes for our third sister," chuckled Haruki, shoving her clipboard under her arm as she reached out and patted Hinata on her head. "Thank genetics that we all look like our mother and not our father."

The pair chortled as Haruki tapped Hinata on the shoulder before saying, "You guys go on ahead."

"See you later, nee-chan."

"Goodbye, Uchiha Haruki."

"Please enjoy your time with my family!"

Haruki waved at Hinata and Pakura as they left the building, looking around to see if there were any stragglers left behind.

"Ah, Baki-san! Sorry for keeping you waiting! Shall the three of us head off now?"

When Haruki and Shisui were busy sorting out who was going to stay with who, they had struggled to find a place suitable for the two jōnin; as a result, they had assigned Pakura to Haruki's father, and taken it upon themselves to host Baki.

"That would be good."

The three jōnin exited the room, with Haruki glancing at the time as they walked out.

"We apologise in advance for our home," she said with a sigh, shaking her head. "Please, if the children do turn out to be too much, please let us know."

"That's fine. If I remember correctly, the two of you have four children, right?"

"... yes."

"After dealing with the Kazekage's kids all the time, I think I'll be just fine."