Half a Woman

"Your old man still going at it with Hinata's training, huh?"

Haruki nodded solemnly as she greeted Shisui at the village gate with a hug.

Following Hiashi's discovery of Haruki's illicit relationship with Shisui, he had intensified his training sessions with his second daughter in the hopes that she would be a suitable heir replacement in case Haruki found herself falling out of his favour for some unknown reason. 

A year had passed since then, but there was no doubting the well-intentioned animosity Shisui faced every time he picked up Haruki from the Hyūga household. Of course, like the understanding boyfriend he was, Shisui didn't take any of it to heart, nor did he let it deter him from seeing Haruki.

Now aged 17 and 18, Haruki and Shisui's once childhood romance had now blossomed into a fully fledged relationship. It was common knowledge throughout their friends and family that they were a steady couple, but that didn't mean it went without their fair share of teasing.

"Hey, lovebirds," snickered Kotetsu as Haruki approached the administration desk with Hanabi by her side. "How's life been for you two? When's the wedding?"

"We're fine, thanks for asking," said Haruki pointedly as Shisui signed his arrival.

"Hey, no need to be so tetchy. Welcome home, big boy."

"Thanks."

Shisui greeted Hanabi as he walked with Haruki back towards the village.

"Is he taking her training after school today as well?" he asked, as Hanabi reached out and put her free hand in his own. Shisui grinned at the little girl, before turning his attention back to her older sister.

"Sadly, yes."

"Hey, who knows! Maybe Hinata will prove to be a better kunoichi than you!" joked Shisui, earning an eyeroll from Haruki.

"If she graduates the Academy before I did, then I'll take it as my father's training paying off," sighed Haruki, absentmindedly stroking Hanabi's hand with her thumb. "But it's sad that she can't play with Hanabi as much. It all just feels like a cycle."

"A cycle?"

"I rarely got to play with Hinata when she was born because my father was pushing me to train hard and rise through the ranks. Now Hanabi can't play with Hinata. I'd like to play with her, obviously, but... you know."

"Your father did a good job! Graduated from the Academy at nine, became a chūnin at eleven, and then a jōnin at fourteen. Now look at you! A fully fledged kunoichi, at seventeen! You're almost a whole woman, Haru-chan!"

"What do you mean almost a whole woman?! Am I only half a woman now or something?!"

"Actually, I was referring to how you're not a legal adult yet, but sure, that works too. But I guess it's more accurate if I say you're only ninety percent a woman."

"Shisui!"