Haruki of the Hyūga

"And where are you going?"

As Haruki rushed down the staircase towards the front door, she closed her eyes and let out a sigh as her father called her from the living room.

Backtracking, Haruki stuck her head in the doorway and said, "I'm going to have dinner with a friend. He wants to celebrate me finally becoming a jōnin."

"He?"

Hiashi glanced up curiously from his newspaper, while Haruki's heavily pregnant mother sat on the couch with Hinata reading a book with her.

"Uh, yeah. He," said Haruki awkwardly, scratching the back of her head as she walked into the living room and faced her father properly.

"Who else is going?"

"No one, otou-san. It's just us."

"Do you remember your duties, Haruki? To our family? To this clan?"

Haruki sighed as she hung her head, feeling her father's years of training and discipline come to the forefront of her memory.

"Yes, otou-san."

"Oh, come on, Hiashi," intervened Haruki's mother, shooting a frown at her husband. "It's just dinner. Who's your friend, dear?"

"He's-"

Haruki was cut off as the doorbell rang, and she mentally cursed as she glanced at the clock. It was exactly seven. An eyebrow raised, Hiashi folded his newspaper in half and placed it on the coffee table beside him.

"I guess I'll get to see him for myself," he grunted, getting to his feet and walking out past his eldest daughter. As he did so, Haruki shot a pout at her mother hoping that she would come and make sure her friend wouldn't get chewed out, but only received a small shrug in return.

"I know you." As Haruki tiptoed her way back to the front door, she facepalmed at the sight of her father towering over Shisui. "You're that jōnin Uchiha kid. How did you meet Haruki?"

"She was my partner for a mission we went on last month, sir. I thought we could celebrate her promotion to jōnin together."

"She became a jōnin last week. Why have you waited so long to celebrate?"

"I only returned to the village yesterday, sir. I was on a mission for the Hokage."

"Fair enough. Haruki!" Haruki scurried to her father's side, shooting an apologetic look at Shisui as she came to a halt. "You know what's expected of you. Remember your duties, and your role in this clan. Don't do anything stupid."

"I won't, otou-san."

"Alright. Get out before I change my mind."

Haruki snickered at her father's nonchalant reply as he headed back to the living room, leaving her to grab her shoes from the shelf and slip them on so that she could join Shisui.

"I'm sorry about him," apologised Haruki sheepishly, following Shisui out of the house and down the footpath that would lead them to the front gate.

"'Remember your duties, and your role in this clan.' Does he always sound so serious?"

"Sadly, yes."

"I can see where you get it from," chuckled Shisui, earning a glare from the Hyūga. "Miss Haruki of the Hyūga."

"What happened to calling me Haru-chan?"

"I was waiting until we were off of your property to call you that," mused Shisui as he held the gate open for Haruki. "I'm pretty sure your dad can still hear us."

"We'll be fine," insisted Haruki, a sullen look on her face as she remembered her father's words. "Next time, you can just wait at the gate for me so you don't have to deal with him again."

"I don't mind," shrugged Shisui, looking up at the sky as they walked side by side. "I think he's just protective of you, that's all."

"A little too protective sometimes, I think. How about your parents?"

"They're... alright," grimaced Shisui, looking like he wanted to change the topic. Getting the hint, Haruki nodded, and chose a new subject.

"So, where are we headed to tonight, boss?"

"What do you feel like?"

"Honestly? Hmm... Ah. Dumplings."

"Your wish is my command, my lady. Let's go to the best dumpling place in town!"