Change of Plans

"No no no this cannot be happening-"

"Haruki-chan, please, relax, breathe-"

"I CAN'T BE HAVING THE BABY NOW! HE WAS SUPPOSED TO COME OUT NEXT WEEK!"

Haruki's voice was a shrill cry as she frantically clutched onto the armrests of her wheelchair, being pushed by a still half asleep Mikoto and Fugaku as they took it upon themselves to escort the heavily pregnant woman to the hospital.

The couple had received an urgent phone call from Namiko in the late hours of the night, informing them that Haruki needed their assistance to get to the hospital. After hurrying over and taking Haruki out, they had discovered through the Hyūga's agitated howls that Shisui had been dispatched on a mission yesterday and wasn't expected to return to the village until tomorrow, and that they hadn't been expecting their baby to make his grand debut until the next week.

"Haruki-chan, everything will be fine," reassured Mikoto tiredly, struggling under the weight of Haruki's overnight bag as she hustled to keep up with her husband. Haruki's desperate cries rang throughout the silence of the night as Mikoto and Fugaku attempted to wheel her forward as fast as they could, so as not to disturb anyone any longer than necessary.

"Shisui! I can't do this without Shisui!"

Haruki remained crying in disbelief as she shook her head in a frenzy, distraught at the thought of having to go through delivering this child alone. Yes, she'd given birth before, and yes, she was familiar with what she was facing. The pain, the arduous hours, the mess- she knew what was coming.

But she never dreamed she would ever have to endure it without Shisui by her side.

"Haruki-chan, please, you can't break down like this," said Fugaku softly, earning a fervent nod from his wife. "I know neither of us are Shisui, but for your own sake, and your baby's, please calm down."

"Dear, once we've got you safely checked into the hospital, I'll come back home and swap with Nami-chan so she can join you. Okay?" said Mikoto in a soothing voice as she tried to appease the wailing soon-to-be mother of four. "Haruki-chan, everything will be okay. I'll notify the Hokage at once, so that Shisui will be able to head directly to you once he gets back to the village."

Haruki's howls subsided into faint sobs, and then ultimately, hushed choking.

Goddamnit, Haruki. Get a grip of yourself!

Closing her eyes, Haruki took short, shallow breaths in an attempt to calm her rapidly beating heart, paying no heed to her messy hair, or the hot tears that still glimmered on her cheeks.

"Haruki-chan, everything will be okay," reaffirmed Fugaku. "You'll be fine."

I can do this. Shisui will be here in the afternoon. It'll be fine. I have okaa-san.